Talk

Advanced search

Best cat food on budget!

(8 Posts)
Leicesterpiggott Thu 04-Jan-18 19:31:56

I currently feed DCats Felix pouches and whiskers dry food. But I’m not convinced it’s the best quality. I’d like to buy them something if a higher quality but I don’t have much more money. One of the cats is a fusspot so I’d like to try First before buying in bulk in case she doesn’t like it. Id like to carry on too with part wet and part dry food too. What can you suggest that is Good quality, easily accessible from shops or amazon and won’t cost a bomb? Cats are one, if that helps. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
thecatneuterer Thu 04-Jan-18 19:35:07

Are any of your cats male? If so don't give them any more Whiskas dry, or indeed any other cheap dry food. It's directly linked to urinary crystals and blocked bladders in male cats.

On a budget I would feed only Butchers Classic tins and no dry at all. If you have any male cats then cheap dry food just isn't worth the risk and you'd be better to just give them tinned food. Butchers Classic is one of the cheaper ones but is also cereal free and vet recommended (by our own vets).

Shmithecat Thu 04-Jan-18 19:37:35

Royal Canin dry food is fairly good quality and if you can fork out of a big bag initially, it works out much cheaper long term. I've never had a cat turn it's nose up at it - I used to feed 60+ cats a day when I was rescuing/fostering etc. It's complete so no other food is needed. Just make sure lots of fresh water is available. I give my pet cats the odd pouch of wet food as a treat. I buy Hair & Skin and Fit 32. All healthy and happy cats. Bitiba do good deals!

Leviticus Thu 04-Jan-18 19:42:48

Mine will only eat the Aldi pouches in gravy. I'm pleased because it's cheap but it's a pain when I can't get to Aldi.

Catchedinthetefelone Thu 04-Jan-18 19:44:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leicesterpiggott Thu 04-Jan-18 19:52:58

Thanks all! Yes, one boy and one girl. How about the Felix pouches and a bowl of royal canin biscuits then? Would that be ok for him?

OP’s posts: |
susiegrapevine Thu 04-Jan-18 19:58:17

We buy the aldi select pouches for our fuss pot. They are the smaller 50g pouches in plastic 6 pack they are 99p for 6. It also means she can ask for more if she is hungry instead of not eating the whole of an 80g pouch.

choccybiscuit Thu 04-Jan-18 19:59:04

Purina dry food. A £14 3kg bag lasts about a month and my cat loves it. You can buy it in Sainsbury's.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in