Talk

Advanced search

Elderly diabetic cat had a seizure

(13 Posts)
Gah81 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:20:24

My little boy cat, 18 years old, recently got diagnosed with diabetes.

He keeps losing weight and this evening had a seizure. He had some blood and urine tests a while back which came back fine, but have rung emergency vets - which told me to monitor him - and will take him in tomorrow.

I am so worried. I really need a hand hold. First cat I ever owned. Sweet, gentle - just wants to be in your arms or on your laptop to all times.

I am worried and think this may be the beginning of the end.

retirednow Sat 16-Dec-17 20:32:28

Thinking of you and your beautiful cat, wow 18 years old, he must have had lots of love. I don't have any advice except to say lots of cuddles and if he gets worse or has more fits then please do call the vet again.

Want2beme Sat 16-Dec-17 20:52:17

So sorry he's poorly. Glad you called the vet for reassurance. He sounds a real sweetheart and will just be happy being with you. Hope he has a restful night and all is well tomorrow.

Gah81 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:55:15

Thank you both. I actually got a bit tearful reading your kind words.

Never had a cat before I picked him up at a shelter 3 years ago. He has been with me through thick and thin. And is purring away on my lap now (his usual spot!).

Ess123 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:57:30

Is he getting the right amount of insulin.

Gah81 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:59:14

He is. They checked his fructosamine levels a few weeks ago and it seems fine.

retirednow Sat 16-Dec-17 20:59:31

Is he on any medication for his diabetes? is he eating and drinking normally? I hope you both get a good nights sleep, if he allows you to move!

Gah81 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:03:37

Insulin twice a day. Had been drinking tons but now back to normal. Losing weight despite eating patterns also back to normal. Understand MRI scan is the next step as they ruled out a whole bunch of stuff at the last appointment.

They told me to be prepared. Sigh.

retirednow Sat 16-Dec-17 21:26:56

Hugs and purrs to you both

bayseyan Sat 16-Dec-17 21:38:26

It could be a bad sign, but it could also be something that is manageable. I had a diabetic cat (lifelong diabetic so slightly different) who had a seizure at around 18 years of age and it was concluded that the seizure resulted from dehydration. I started giving him water and electrolytes by syringe twice a day and he lived for 5 more years.

rocky4 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:50:56

Thinking of you, he might surprise you. They are tough little things thanks

Ess123 Sun 17-Dec-17 00:34:11

Usually going by dp if he is losing weight despite eating then he needs to adjust his insulin.

Fabellini Sun 17-Dec-17 00:37:42

Our old cat developed diabetes in his twilight years.....he had a seizure and I rushed to the vet with him. It turned out he didn't need the insulin any more, almost like the diabetes went away, and he lived for two or three years after that without needing any more injections.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: