Talk

Advanced search

Help! elderly cat taken a turn for the worse

(12 Posts)
ChocolateHelps Sat 16-Dec-17 19:07:42

I have 2 gorgeous 17yr old mogs. 1 has always been poorly on/off and last 3 years has been on a cocktail of drugs for thyroid, arthritis etc. She's been getting thinner. Obviously not going to get any better. Tonight she has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. Unco-ordinated walking. Just not herself, mainly that she can't walk. She's not shaking or shivering or looking uncomfortable but she's not so aware of her surroundings.

It's a Saturday night. If it was in the week my vet would be open till 8pm. I've given her some metacam, a tiny bit of philadelphia (she's not allowed this anymore with the anti thyroid food) and tucked her up with a warm blanket and a hot water bottle (sorry if this sounds daft!)

but...what do I do? Do I ring out of hours vets?

I'm thinking this is the end and I want to her to be comfortable and I don't really want to drive her somewhere strange to be PTS. but I don't want her to suffer. Do I keep her warm and stay with her? Not done this before.

TIA

Wolfiefan Sat 16-Dec-17 19:09:31

Can you call the out of hours vet with advice? I'm so sorry. Any chance it could be a stroke? Poor puss.

TheScarletSquid Sat 16-Dec-17 19:16:06

I'm sorry this is happening - it's really difficult to know what to do for the best, isn't it? I've lost several cats over the years and I think if this was mine (my cat is just a couple of years younger but suddenly slowing down) I would just keep her close and give her lots of attention, unless she's showing signs of being in pain. I think it's better for them to be with someone they know rather than being taken somewhere unfamiliar - makes it easier for you as well.

I regret not doing this with one of my cats, as my reaction was always to rush them to the vets at the slightest thing - I wish now I'd just kept him at home with me.

Want2beme Sat 16-Dec-17 19:25:33

Sorry to hear she's not doing so well. I'd call vet, even just to get some advice. They'll probably be familiar with what's happening with her.

Gah81 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:31:55

Being in a similar place with my cat tonight, I rang you emergency vet and they told me to mon it or him. But just being able to speak to someone helped.

Wolfiefan Sat 16-Dec-17 19:35:29

Ringing the emergency vet is a good call. Often cats don't show obvious signs of pain. Whilst it may upset you to take her into the vets it may be the best thing for her.

ChocolateHelps Sat 16-Dec-17 19:54:57

Thank you for your replies. It really helped. I've spoken to emergency vet. He's reassured me that keeping her home and comfortable is not the wrong thing to do. I'll call them again in the morning if need be. She's got off her blanket just now, and seemed a bit more co-ordinated but then got straight back on it. She's had a bit of food and has got food, water and clean litter tray very close. I'll be so so so sad for her to go but also it's inevitable and I don't want her to be in paid.

Want2beme Sat 16-Dec-17 20:06:14

That's good. You can be reassured that she'll be ok for the time being. It is a very difficult time, but you're not alone. Keep posting and we'll be here to chat. Hope your evening with your furry friend is a comfortable one.

Want2beme Sat 16-Dec-17 20:08:50

Gah81 hope your puss has a comfortable night as well.

Wolfiefan Sat 16-Dec-17 20:11:55

Thinking of you both.

DottyS Sat 16-Dec-17 20:15:02

Just a handhold and thinking of you both flowers

Gah81 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:57:25

Thinking of you and your cat, OP. Sending many flowers

And thank you Want2be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now