Talk

Advanced search

How long did it take you to name your cat(s)?

(14 Posts)
DrMadelineMaxwell Sat 16-Dec-17 14:44:03

We've had ours over a week now and I just can't settle on names for them! I even asked on here and got lots of lovely replies, but nothing that felt right.

And every time I think I've settled on something, DH makes a silly name out of it or the DC dislike it lots.

It's too blumming difficult.

sillyswimmer Sat 16-Dec-17 14:54:16

We let our cat choose. We had her from a rescue centre but hated the name she had. We came up with a list and called her them in turn. Her name ended up being the one she meowed at every time we said it.

ScreamingValenta Sat 16-Dec-17 14:58:14

I had names in mind before I got them!

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 16-Dec-17 14:59:16

Seconds!

flumpybear Sat 16-Dec-17 15:01:50

Before we got her home! Chose the kitten at a few weeks and had the name Cookie Dough Dynamo ... so Cookie .. before she arrived!
Put a pix up and let us help!

flumpybear Sat 16-Dec-17 15:03:40

Other cat was a rescue so kept the name he'd been given by the woman who rescued him by feeding him and taking him to the rescue centre - well changed the spelling as she called him Sonny, but we changed it to Sunny Sunshine 🌞

Johnnycomelately1 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:03:51

About one second-she looked like Tina Turner so she was called Tina.

Stressmess Sat 16-Dec-17 15:10:45

We got our cat as a kitten from a breeder many years ago now. It was in the days before we had children ourselves and it was like naming a child. We had discussions many a night, what do you think of X etc until we came down to a shortlist of three.

We went down to view him one night and the breeder asked us had we thought of a name for him and I just blurted out one of the names. I think it suits him though and he has grown into his name. It has become annoyingly popular though. The people right next door to us have called their puppy the same name. Bit annoying but what can you do?

SteelyPip Sat 16-Dec-17 15:12:25

Henry and Millie my first cats - just "looked like" those names. Then we had a third and just could not find a name that suited her, so we called her "Little" until we did. We eventually plumped for Chloe (her Mum was Cleo, so it sort of worked) but we only ever used it for her records. She was always "Little" to us.

Fast forward a couple of decades and Monty and Wellington (Welly) arrived. We did have a think about those names, they weren't automatic, but they absolutely suited the kitts. Then we had a third very shy rescue who is now named Martha, but also Miss Moon, Suzie Sniff, Madame Munchkin and so the list goes on. All cats should have different names which they can don like a special hat depending upon the occasion. It is the law. grin

BulletFox Sat 16-Dec-17 15:16:19

Took a few years, to be frank. She had a daft name and we could never decide on a right one until I suddenly thought of something phonetically similar (she'd recognise the similarity with sound) and was better.

I'd absolutely love it if you named her Scurry(cat) after a poster here who recently lost theirs.

MooChops89 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:26:35

Oh god, weeks. Kept changing my mind and DH was less than helpful! They are called Minnie and Rory, but Minnie is also Minnie Boo aka Boo Boo or Boobs grin
And Rory is also Big Bud or Roo.

Loveactuallyoctopus Sat 16-Dec-17 15:28:37

About two minutes after we got them him. It was a joke suggestion really but it stuck. They're called del boy and Rodney

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 16-Dec-17 20:14:53

We adopted ours direct from a family, so she was used to her name, which we really hated. We called her something which sounds similar phonetically, and for the first week or so we called her Old-Name-New-Name, then just dropped the old name. She also gets called Baba (because I was watching the film The Babadook and started calling her that) and Pops, because she’s a little poppet. Currently her name is The White Destroyer after her shenanigans with the Christmas tree.

Want2beme Sat 16-Dec-17 20:22:11

It takes me a few days. I mull over a few names, choose one and stick to it. It's not easy, but you'll probably never all agree on the same name, so just the one person should decide.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: