Talk

Advanced search

Sort of a rescue cat, advice needed please!

(113 Posts)
ParrotPudding Wed 06-Dec-17 17:37:56

Ok, so I know I may well get flamed for this, but we are having a bit of a nightmare and really could do with some advice.
We have had a mouse problem for a while, tried everything and to no avail. We were advised to try getting a cat in the hope it put the mouseys off visiting us.
Having a half hearted look online (google of our area rescues etc) and came across an advert on Gumtree (i know, i know!).
The ad pretty much was come take this cat and gimme some money for it. Very vague and a tad cold. DH wanted to go and see this cat asap because he had a bad feeling about the cats welfare (what with being put on gumtree and the wording of the ad)

So, we went to see him, walked into a house that was filthy, growing cannabis in thier bathroom etc. Poor boy was hiding under the bed, man pulled him out from under the bed by his face.
We couldn't leave him there!!
Dh had a few choice words with the man and the woman who was there just asked dh for. £15 so she could buy a fish tank instead 😐angry
Got him home, deflead and wormed him immediately. He's very very skinny and nervous. He didn't eat or use the litter tray for just over 24hrs. DH managed to get him eating and drinking and he's now using the tray although he spends 99% of his time hid under our bed or under the radiator in our bedroom. I've just flea combed him and we have found what appears to be cigarette burns in numerous places over his body.Earliest we can see a vet is tomorrow evening, when we are booked to get him chipped, checked and to have his vaccinations done over a six week course.Is there anything we can do for his skin in the meantime? Anything you recommend to help him settle in? He really is so so lovely , we just want to make his life good.
The ad said he was about 7.

Wolfiefan Wed 06-Dec-17 17:42:17

Oh that poor kitty!
I would restrict him to one room to start off with. Ensure he has high places and covered hidden places to take refuge. You can get a spray called feliway to help with anxiety. I'm not sure I would want to put anything on the skin until the vet has had a look. sad

ParrotPudding Wed 06-Dec-17 17:47:44

Thanks Wolfie.
I will grab some feliway on my way to work tomorrow. He is hiding in our bedroom, mostly in the storage bit of the bed for the freeview box which is warm!

retirednow Wed 06-Dec-17 17:48:39

Oh my, what a terrible story, are you going to ask the vet if you think the kitty has been abused and have it reported? He is so lucky to have found you to look after him. I really wish Gumtree would ban animal sales. I don't have any suggestions for his sore skin, but keep him warm, poor little thing. Keep us posted.

iggleypiggly Wed 06-Dec-17 17:56:02

I would report the people you got him from. Poor little thing. He’s clearly shocked and scared. Let him have his space, time will help him, he will learn to love and trust you flowers

Vinorosso74 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:57:56

Poor cat. I think this should be reported, take photos of the burns. I'm sure the vet can advise on how they can help as far as reporting goes. The vet should give him a good check over so in the meantime keep things calm and quiet for him, poor cat has probably been through. He is safe now. Some people are bastards.

Acrosstheuniverse123 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:02:15

Report those vile people to the RSPCA. This is heartbreaking.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 06-Dec-17 18:05:54

Let MrCat come round in his own time. The plug-in feliway is really good, more constant than the spray. Maybe plug one within your bedroom.

LadyKyliePonsonbyFarquhar Wed 06-Dec-17 18:06:35

Well done to your DH for giving them a bollocking, but I think you should report them as well. Especially if the vet confirms he has been mistreated.
Just leave him in peace, I'm sure he'll come round.

LoislovesStewie Wed 06-Dec-17 18:06:39

I would report to RSPCA; leave him in quiet place with food/water and litter tray. If you are kind to him he will probably come out of his shell. We have a cat who was described as 'semi-feral' ; she did not live in the house of her previous human, was quite nervous. Now she sits on my knee, purring madly, runs around playing and eats well. she is a lovely cat. Hope all is well at vets .

ParrotPudding Wed 06-Dec-17 18:22:25

Thank you all so much.
We had to go see this cat because of all the red flags on the advert.
I emailed our rspca to ask advice also but haven't heard back yet, don't expect to for a while. Will take pictures of burns and some close ups to show his weight.
We have two young children who are besotted with him but we are keeping them at a distance until he is ready for them! Although he hasnt hissed or scratched once even when they have got a bit loud and excited about him, he's very sweet natured, looking forward to seeing his personality come out.
He came to us with nothing, he didnt even have a blankey etc so the kids have given him so nice snuggly ones and some special cuddly toys to cheer him up!

I will get the feliway plug in on my way to work tomorrow. I've been reading up on it and it looks good.

As per the rules, here is Buster. (We may be changing that name!)

Toddlerteaplease Wed 06-Dec-17 18:25:07

Thank goodness you've got him out of there!

Toddlerteaplease Wed 06-Dec-17 18:26:57

What a beautiful cat.

QueenieMum Wed 06-Dec-17 18:32:57

Well done for getting that cat out of danger! Pet Remedy is another good plug in that's similar to Feliway. Other than that sounds like you're doing a grand job! Somewhere to hide when it all gets too much, regular but small amounts of food, peace and quiet (where possible!) and leave kitty to come to you. It might take time but it will be worth it. Keep us updated, especially after the vet visit. Brilliant thing to do, I want to hug you! thankswine

brogueish Wed 06-Dec-17 18:34:42

He's gorgeous! Poor little thing, give him time and space - it will pay off in the end.

There are such bastards out there, thank goodness you found him.

metalmum15 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:36:30

What a gorgeous cat. Sounds like he's going to be very loved in his new home. If you say they were growing cannabis in the house the police may be interested in a little tip off about that.

ParrotPudding Wed 06-Dec-17 18:45:55

I will let you all know how it goes at the vets tomorrow. Thank you all for the support and advise! I'm feeling way out of my depth here!

Wolfiefan Wed 06-Dec-17 18:47:52

He's stunning. Don't worry. He will show you what to do. He IS a cat after all. They are always in charge!grin

StewPots Wed 06-Dec-17 18:55:04

Aww he's absolutely gorgeous. Well done to you and DH for rescuing him. I'm sure he will come round in his own time. Poor poor kitty sad what the hell is wrong with people???

Eenymeeny123 Wed 06-Dec-17 19:50:14

Thank God you trusted your gut and went to get him. He is a beauty. Hoping ye all the very best.

tampinfuminragin Wed 06-Dec-17 20:06:51

Have you reported the previous owner OP? Please do.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 06-Dec-17 20:24:13

What a beautiful cat. I’m so pleased you and DH have rescued him from his previous owners, I can’t bear to think of him being badly treated.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow.

BattleaxeGalactica Wed 06-Dec-17 20:31:01

He is an absolute beauty, OP.

Well done for getting him out of that awful place.

ParrotPudding Wed 06-Dec-17 20:32:07

Tampin I have emailed our local rescue centre for advice on what will help Dcat and what steps we need to take in regards to reporting. I'm hoping the vet will ve able to point us in the right direction too. I have previous owners name, address and phone number. How much of it is real I don't know.
I work in pharmacy and am involved with drug rehabilitation so have lots of contact with drug officers etc so will ask around for a contact to report the drug farming too also.
I'm not letting this go. Trying very hard to stay level headed and calm.
He is a very mumsnetty cat though, he loves Naice ham grin

ParrotPudding Wed 06-Dec-17 20:49:00

As a happy sidenote: . DH just had some cooked chicken breast and Buster came out of hiding to remind him that any and all chicken found in or outside of the home must immediately be delivered to himself to devour noisily and smugly.
For a Cat thats only just eating and hides majority of the time he's very confident about chicken!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: