Talk

Advanced search

Cat litter - how often do you change it and has anyone found something to rival Catsan?

(40 Posts)
mathsfiend1 Tue 05-Dec-17 08:34:05

Just wondering how often you change your cat trays - we have 2 cats. And has anyone found anything as good as or close to Catsan but cheaper - we have got through a 20 litre bag in 4 days which is going to work out as over £20 a week on cat litter.

Also has anyone used a dyson handheld to vacuum up the bits that go out of tray or will that break it?

Thanks.

hotwater Tue 05-Dec-17 08:40:11

If you have a B&M near you the red packet of silicon stuff is only about 2 pound and better than anything else I have tried in ten years of Cat slavery

lapetitesiren Tue 05-Dec-17 08:44:47

Why are you using so much? Just remove the poo and flush it down the loo and sprinkle a fresh thin layer on top. You don't need to throw it away for ages ( i am deliberately not saying how long in case people think i am gross). I haven't found anything as good as catsan, mainly because it lasts so long and doesn't smell.

EachandEveryone Tue 05-Dec-17 08:51:06

Worlds Best clumping litter on offer on Amazon. Take the poo out as they do it and straight down the loo. I do that twice a day and the clumps if pee I chuck out with my rubbish every night. I change my trays full every month. My friends told me to do that and they’ve had multiple cats for years

deepestdarkestperu Tue 05-Dec-17 08:57:05

We use wood pellets. Two cats - three litter trays. Scoop the poo as we see it and change the trays twice a week. We get ours free from a local farmer.

Allergictoironing Tue 05-Dec-17 08:57:55

I use wood pellets (dirt cheap from Pets at Home). I scoop whenever I've noticed it's been used, top up if required, and replace completely fortnightly - used to be weekly, but general household waste removal recently changed to fortnightly.

I hoover up the dust and any pellets they've scattered about with my old Dyson handheld & not had any problems.

thecatneuterer Tue 05-Dec-17 09:06:15

I also use wood pellets from Pets at Home for £5 for 30 litres. It has absolutely no smell. I change twice a day, but then I do have 20 plus cats. If I had just one cat I would probably do as Allergictoironing does and replace weekly if they also go outside and every two or three days if it is their only toilet.

mathsfiend1 Tue 05-Dec-17 09:20:29

ok I should say these cats not allowed out due to dangerous road so this their only toilet. May give the wood pellets a go then.

My change the whole thing every 2/3 days possible a bit ott then smile

Allergictoironing Tue 05-Dec-17 09:27:33

No smell, and when the pellets get damp they sort of crumble so if anything you end up with more in the tray after a couple of days. Mine are indoors only, but they sulk when they get new litter and hold everything in for at least a day or more then do ENORMOUS wees and poos.

EachandEveryone Tue 05-Dec-17 10:11:51

Get two trays i find its easier

Sarahjconnor Tue 05-Dec-17 10:15:10

I have 2 'indoor cats and the only way I have found to keep the smell away is to buy the cheap stuff from Lidl and replace both trays every single day. Ridiculous, I know, but it seems to stink otherwise. Watching the thread with interest.

QueenOfAccidentalDeathStares Tue 05-Dec-17 11:25:18

I also have the wood pellets from Pets at Home for £5 for 30 litres.
Just one elderly cat with kidney issues who drinks and pees a lot (and only inside)! It was easier when he went out side to pee :/

2 trays, and i need to change every ~4-5 days or you end up with the cat spreading the saw dust through out the house. remove solid waste as soon as you see it.

TobleroneBoo Tue 05-Dec-17 11:33:58

I also use the Pets at Home wood pellets - used to use Morrisons but PAH offered bigger bags etc.

2 cats, they dont go to the toilet outside so these work very well - mine are flickers though so the pellets can scatter quite some distance!

username24 Tue 05-Dec-17 12:30:25

I've got 2 cats who share one of those trays with the lid on. I've used every litter over the years and always go back to cats best as it doesn't smell and lasts ages

TonicAndTonic Tue 05-Dec-17 12:34:37

Tesco own brand antibacterial cat litter (blue bag) is cheaper than Catsan, similar texture etc and works at least as well.

World's Best is fab stuff, clumping and flushable, but my cat hates it angry

Toddlerteaplease Tue 05-Dec-17 17:42:30

Intersand classic. Scooped once daily and changed monthly. Used by two poo monster indoor cats.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 05-Dec-17 17:45:44

Absolutely no smell.

dementedpixie Tue 05-Dec-17 17:58:12

I found catsan went smelly very quickly. I use a mix of worlds best and cats best nature gold (cats best oko plus tracks everywhere whereas nature's gold is more pellet like and doesnt)

TotemIcePole Tue 05-Dec-17 18:02:03

Worlds best for the gritty one is excellent.

But our latest rescue cat only likes wood pellets.

Morrisons wood pellets are great. Scoop out wee/poo daily.

I probably do a complete change & wash the tray under the shower, about every 7-10 days.

Pets at home wood pellets are good.

IrritatedUser1960 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:13:16

Is it ok putting it down the loo? I do this but worry about having to call dynarod!
I only ever use catsan and change the whole tray once a week - two trays one up and one down, the ancient cat won't go downstairs to go specially.
I then use a very cheap hand held hoover I got off amazon to clear up the scattered mess.

dementedpixie Tue 05-Dec-17 18:15:08

No i don't think catsan is designed for flushing. Some eco plant based ones say they can be flushed but I wouldn't chance it in case the toilet got blocked

IrritatedUser1960 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:47:07

Yes it does worry me!!!

GreenShadow Wed 06-Dec-17 19:53:57

I've found the Sainsbury's Odour Control Cat Litter is very similar to Catsan.
Like others, we change the whole tray only around once a week.

lapetitesiren Wed 06-Dec-17 20:26:47

If you use a scoop all the catsan falls back down and its just poo going in the loo. Don't risk it with a macerator toilet , it would break, but an odd grain of catsan is very unlikely to block an ordinary loo.

Ilovetolurk Wed 06-Dec-17 20:33:38

I use catsan smartpacks - laziest owner ever

Empty poo every day, a pack lasts a week for one cat

My cat has mainly posh dry food so her poo is not very smelly

And yes I do use the dyson!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now