Talk

Advanced search

Raw food advice?

(7 Posts)
artiface Mon 04-Dec-17 22:16:15

I'm a long term veggie and I get a bit over anxious about meat hygiene. I think a raw food diet for Kitty would be a good way to go, but am concerned and don't know where to start! Can I freeze and transfer to the fridge and then to dish? Is there a book or online articles? I have read some but I think my anxiety of doing it wrong makes me feel bewildered! Thank you!

thecatneuterer Mon 04-Dec-17 22:52:22

I am absolutely no expert on this and I agree it is bewildering and also quite difficult I think - you need to make sure you get the right balance of nutrients and of course taurine.

I know there are some raw food feeders on this forum so hopefully they'll be along. You could also try the advance search function to search for the term in The Litter Tray as I know it's been covered before quite a few times.

thecatneuterer Mon 04-Dec-17 22:55:57

Oh and I can't see what the issue would be with freezing, then fridge then dish. That's a normal way of dealing with meat isn't it? (I'm a veggie too <clueless>).

One thing I have learned is that you can feed raw chicken to your cat as long as it has previously been frozen for at least 48 hours to avoid the risk of toxoplasmosis. And that is the sum total of my knowledge on this subject.

MakeLemonade Mon 04-Dec-17 23:03:10

We did it for a while, we bought the smallest tubs of kitten food and would defrost and keep in fridge and then serve. We had one tub that would last two days and I didn’t like letting it go for longer.

We stopped for two reasons, one was that princess Cat wouldn’t eat it straight from the fridge, she liked to wait until it had warmed up - apparently not uncommon. And despite rigid hygiene, and possibly because she wouldn’t eat it straight away, she picked up a bug from it and was quite poorly. It was campylobacter.

We now use Applaws and everyone is much happier. I found raw feeding pretty stressful but know lots of people have had success with it.

artiface Tue 05-Dec-17 18:42:15

Thank you all - it is bewildering! and a poorly kitty is no fun at all. I will search the litter tray. he's a bit of a giant and eats a lot (five sachets of regular food) and I suppose I was thinking if he eats that much I'd rather is was really good for him - but then thats only if he doesn't get poorly!
Thank you again

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:44:41

There's a Facebook group that's quite handy if you have it? Cats completely raw and proud, they have files on diets etc

Purrform is one in the U.K that's ready made
I did it for a while using just meat and a supplement called felini, if you click feeding guide under the product it shows amounts
http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplementsspecialtycat_food/vitamins/155860

Mostly now mine gets natures menu pouches but I bulk it out with whatever the supermarket has marked down. He loves turkey mince and heart

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 05-Dec-17 21:23:11

I tried feeding Harry Natures Menu raw and he looked at me as though I’d lost the plot. We very quickly went back to pouches and I can’t say I was sorry as I didn’t like the idea of raw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now