Talk

Advanced search

Help please stray at my door

(99 Posts)
shuggas Mon 04-Dec-17 17:35:03

Oh god I came home from work and there is a stray at my front door. DH informed me it's been here for hours crying and scratching at the door. It has even let itself in when a delivery came.

It has no collar and a bit underweight.

I have 3 DC and a dog

Tried the rspca but closed.

I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Will get hubby to take a pic for FB but I doubt it will be claimed with no collar?

I can't listen to it crying all night but also DH is off to work soon and I am alone with the DC and dog.

Any advice appreciated!!

bluebells1 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:36:36

Can you look up on FB for a local dog rescue team? Also, look for your local dog warden. Keep the dog safe inside your property and wait until the warden turns up.

overnightangel Mon 04-Dec-17 17:38:56

Look up Local Cats Protection?

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Mon 04-Dec-17 17:39:16

Do you have somewhere dry like a shed or conservatory that can be a room for the night?

shuggas Mon 04-Dec-17 17:41:58

Ok will look at those options potentially the outhouse but I will try the rescue options first thanks guys

feral Mon 04-Dec-17 17:43:05

None of my cats wear a collar. Lack of Collar no indication this is a stray!

shuggas Mon 04-Dec-17 17:47:14

Ok that's good to know feral. Sorry I have never owned a cat so have no idea about these things blush

bluebells1 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:47:36

My local warden takes cats away to the cattery as well. He is brilliant!

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Mon 04-Dec-17 17:49:09

I have to agree with Feral also, the lack of collar means nothing but if you can provide somewhere warm for the night then you might have better luck tomorrow (it might have already gone home or if not you could nip it to a vets to be scanned).

HemanOrSheRa Mon 04-Dec-17 17:53:32

One of my cats has 'form' for looking maudlin and unwanted. She's very friendly too so will follow people home. She has no shame! She doesn't wear a collar but she is chipped.

You could see if there is a local FB Lost and Found Pets in your area. Lots of people on there are always willing to help. Several on ours have a chip scanner.

shuggas Mon 04-Dec-17 19:24:00

Well it's currently had a bit of ham, has water and I made a make shift litter tray (with a file box I ripped the lid off, actually had some cat litter knocking about As I used it to absorb moisture from windows)

It's in the outhouse which has a sofa in, it's got no heating out there but it's curled up in a cushion on the sofa. Will that be ok? I can't have it in the house with the dog as don't know what condition it is in and my dog is 14. Places are all closed so it will wait until morning I guess. I can't be up late as up v early for work.

I have requested to join a couple of pages in fb and looked on lost and found to see if it was on there as lost but not on there.

What other food is ok? It gobbled the ham.. I have googled if dog food is ok as a one off but it's not clear with mixed answers and I can't leave the house now. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

YetAnotherSpartacus Mon 04-Dec-17 19:24:51

If it is a stray and your dog approve can be persuaded to approve then cats are no bother really ...

shuggas Mon 04-Dec-17 19:31:40

Husband isn't impressed with what I have done so far.. I doubt he would let me keep it .. the kids were so excited when we brought it in. I would (even though not a cat person at heart) but I am an animal lover and can't bear the thought of it having no help. He isn't cruel don't get me wrong, he just has a lot on his plate already with the tiddlies and is having an op on Wednesday. He has limited time to do some last bits of work to the house before Christmas before he isn't able to do any lifting etc and will be in pain and it's just added more to do I guess from his perspective. I leave for work v ear and leave him to deal with it. Feel a bit mean now confused

The dog may be ok, but I guess there is the flees concern and it's rather whiffy at the moment poor thing

Briette Mon 04-Dec-17 19:32:50

Plain boiled chicken (no bone) would probably do well if you have any lying around. If it's very hungry then it's quite kind on the stomach. Might be worth phoning an out of hours vet if you have one locally, they will likely have contacts at the rescues.

HemanOrSheRa Mon 04-Dec-17 19:34:17

It should be fine to feed the cat some dog food in an emergency. It's only not good long term as cat food has taurine added to It, which cats need. A small amount of tinned tuna, cold chicken or if you're really desperate - cooked fish fingers with the batter/breadcrumbs peeled off grin. But it might only be batty cat ladies who do that blushgrin.

QuestionableMouse Mon 04-Dec-17 19:41:00

My cat chases the dog away from his food and eats it. It's done her no harm so far.

If you have an empty box, pop a towel in it and it'll make a warm bed. You can add a hot water bottle if it's really cold. (Just wrap it up well and replace it if it goes cold.)

retirednow Mon 04-Dec-17 19:45:47

Put an empty box with a towel in it for somewhere to hide. Cover it up with any old blanket or towel. Looks like you have a new member of the family.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:46:51

Dog foods OK as a one off. If it's thin & smelly it's not grooming because it's too hungry to look after itself.

It needs to be scanned for a microchip though, hopefully it's a lost pet not one chucked out on the streets.

Yes to a box or fleece. If it's thin it won't have a good layer of insulating fat or decent fur growth.

shuggas Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:59

Right I will give it some dog food and it's on the sofa with a blanket I will sort a hot water bottle now thanks so much! Am clueless thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:51:41

You're very kind to help her/him, lots of people would have set the dog on her or shooed her off sad

shuggas Mon 04-Dec-17 19:55:34

I don't even know if a girl or boy, I gave it some food and straight in there, so hungry the poor thing. Is it Normal for cats to grind their teeth when eating? I can hear it grinding confused

LineysRunner Mon 04-Dec-17 19:57:07

I agree with Heman that dog food will be fine short term.

The arrangements you've made with outhouse sound fine. It's a tricky one, though - you don't really know if it's lost or not. I'd photograph it and get it's mugshot out on social media, a few A4 posters on lampposts, etc.

We've got a cat living in a disused garage near us. We only just noticed it a we days ago. It's in a shocking state but won't come near us. We've fed it, and will try to get it to a vet asap, or at least get some worming tablets etc in its food gradually.

We think it might have belonged to a deceased older person in the neighbourhood - very worried about it this winter. But we'll sort something out for it. Poor thing.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:57:21

No, not really. Sometimes I hear chewing.

I wouldn't worry, right now food, water & warmth are the priority.

mustbemad17 Mon 04-Dec-17 20:02:41

Post on your local selling sites, someone may have a halo scanner to see if s/he is chipped for you 🙂

thecatneuterer Mon 04-Dec-17 20:03:33

Well it's obviously desperate. Poor thing.

Cats Protection are probably your best bet. Unless you're in London in which case please pm me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now