Talk

Advanced search

Really weird cat

(12 Posts)
Notfootball Thu 30-Nov-17 21:12:56

My tortoiseshell is really odd. She will come upstairs for a huge love-in, strokes with purrs, meows and head butts then lead me downstairs and start behaving as though I'm a stranger who is about to kick her - she'll run away/cower/hide. This will occur moments after she couldn't get enough of the petting.

How can I get her to calm down? My vet just says that tortoiseshells are call crazy.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Thu 30-Nov-17 21:16:33

I agree with your vet <voice of experience >

DancesWithOtters Thu 30-Nov-17 21:36:22

I love a good headbutt. Is she trying to get you to play?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:37:49

You could try zylkene capsules in her food.

Our cat won't talk to Dh if he's outside. He runs off like Dh is a cat abuser.

Notfootball Thu 30-Nov-17 21:40:34

I don't think she's playing, when she runs away she sometimes does that standing-still run where she cannot get away fast enough.

abbsisspartacus Thu 30-Nov-17 21:44:20

Get something for her to play with you with like cat fishing rod etc play that down the stairs as you walk

MsMims Fri 01-Dec-17 00:21:36

Is it because when you’re upstairs you’re sitting and looking non-threatening, but standing up makes her skittish? (Not suggesting you really are intimidating standing up btw!)

TheHodgeHeg Fri 01-Dec-17 00:42:34

my cat can be a bit like this but I think she's just playing (in her own weird way). If I get a toy out when she's behaving like this she'll play with it and she doesn't object too much to being picked up...if she sits still long enough to be caught!

RubbishMantra Sat 02-Dec-17 12:16:39

If I wear shoes in the house Little M stares at them in horror, like a feline Mrs. Bucket. It's not like we have a cream coloured carpet or anything.

FruSkogKattOla Sat 02-Dec-17 16:44:54

Is she a really fluffy cat? I wonder if she has a bit of Norwegian Forest Cat in her breeding cattime.com/cat-breeds/norwegian-forest-cats#/slide/1? Apparently they can be a bit 'up & down' with their affection towards their humans.

We have a lad who, I suspect, has some NFC in him. He's just the same as you describe - one minute total a 'love-in' with me to the point I can't move from wherever I am, the next minute he's telling me to piss off!!

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 03-Dec-17 01:14:06

My tortie was fairly normal as cats go.
Current cat is a dog.
Previous cat was a drama queen who spent a lot of her time behaving like an RSPCA poster child.
They're all different.

Piewraith Sun 03-Dec-17 01:34:22

Sounds like she has torti-tude!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now