Talk

Advanced search

adopted what seems to be a rare breed...

(34 Posts)
exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:06:56

this is Jacky. he is almost 10 months and GIGANTOR. we thought he was a black cat but no, he is not. he is a rich, chocolatey brown.

so i googled about a bit and discovered that brown cats are pretty uncommon. we think Jacky is a Havana Brown. his paw pads and nose leather are brown, as are his whiskers. he has oblique-set eyes, a glossy chestnut coat and is a proper homebody.

i’m not showing off. we are just a bit boggled that we seem to have rescued a rare breed! anyone else got one of these?

OP’s posts: |
exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:07:51

photos!

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:08:36

aargh!

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:11:30

fucks sake - here he is!

girlwhowearsglasses Wed 29-Nov-17 10:12:19

Havana is the brown version of an oriental shorthair - the same cat essentially as a Siamese but with solid colour. You. An get back, red, blue, white etc - any colour you can get Siamese in.

If he is angular and skinny like a siames won a triangle face and low ear setting he may be part Havana - does he meow a lot like a Siamese? If he’s a very large cat he’s unlikely to be Havana.

Sounds beautiful though

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:14:38

and..

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:23:30

yeah he’s very chatty! american Havana Browns look more Siamese than british versions. his nose and pads are brown, and he is medium haired.

he is hench rather than a big lump of cat. and so beautiful! he is cat Number 4 and has found his place among the others. still a bit flinchy around men and won’t take human food even if delicious - he had a rough start to life.

he came home 3 months ago and has doubled in size. i have taught him to give me his paw on command and he mostly wanders about the place with his butterfly toy or his cuddly bear in his mouth looking for a blanket to collapse on.

we love him SO HARD. good boy, Jacky. good boy.

gingerclementine Wed 29-Nov-17 10:34:02

He is SO handsome. Look at that face. Like a panther.

Gatekeeper Wed 29-Nov-17 10:37:20

Ohh he is just lovely and the thought of him carrying his cuddly bear round has made me smile smile

Penfold007 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:38:46

He is stunning. I had a chocolate Burmese who was very chatty and affection and looked similar except he wasn't a huge cat. Looks like he has found his forever home.

Valerrie Wed 29-Nov-17 10:39:34

He looks a bit Burmese to me!

badbadhusky Wed 29-Nov-17 10:42:09

I am SO jealous. I fantasise about having a Havana Brown boy. You jammy, jammy cow. (He is lush, by the way.)

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:43:08

we thought Burmese but he’s not that pointy. in profile he’s all haughty:

Valerrie Wed 29-Nov-17 10:45:02

Burmese don't tend to be pointy. My chocolate and cream were both super chunky! Whatever he is he's beautiful!

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:45:40

god yes SO jammy. and he has fitted in so well with the others - luckily for all concerned! he’s a proper mummy’s boy and is always wherever i am. if i am behind a closed door trying to pee in peace he just shouts until he can see me again..

DotCottonIsMyIdol Wed 29-Nov-17 10:47:29

He's very hamdsome, looks very much like a Siamese cross I had as a child. She was dark brown almost like marmite. Very, very vocal, used to follow you about like a dog. She was slim but solid. She used to love climbing up onto my shoulders and draping herself like a fur stole round my neck or being pushed about in a dolls pushchair.

She did however have a mean right hook if she was wanting food!

RoganJosh Wed 29-Nov-17 10:50:12

His paws are massive! Gorgeous.

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 29-Nov-17 10:59:56

Does he look like this but brown?

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 29-Nov-17 11:03:47

Or this? First pic is a Lilac Oriental, 2nd is a blue Oriental. And is he vocal as in demanding attention and insisting on a two way conversation?

Havannahs are not rare though.

magicstar1 Wed 29-Nov-17 11:11:51

He's gorgeous...very unusual looking.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Wed 29-Nov-17 11:20:31

OP - love your cat - he may well have some burmese in him. I'm not convinced though that brown cats are that uncommon. Our 'black' moggy is definitely brown (although this is a cause of constant disagreements between dw and me)

MsMims Wed 29-Nov-17 13:36:54

He looks gorgeous but ‘just’ a moggy to me. He’s definitely not a Havana Brown or an Oriental. Just be happy you have a lovely cat, he doesn’t need to be a X or Y breed to be special. There’s huge variations in moggies and absolutely nothing wrong with a mog!

thecatneuterer Wed 29-Nov-17 14:06:44

He looks like a moggy to me too. And lots of 'black' cats are really dark brown, particularly in sunlight. He's still gorgeous though.

peepholepringle Wed 29-Nov-17 14:10:22

I've nothing helpful to add but just have to say what an absolutely gorgeous cat he is.

Want2beme Wed 29-Nov-17 14:46:07

No such thing as boasting on the litter tray! He's very handsome.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in