Talk

Advanced search

Sore mouth and won't eat - very worried

(44 Posts)
dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 13:50:09

Arthur-moggy is not well. Since Saturday evening he's been running away from his food which has lead me to think that he was in pain and somehow relating eating to pain. Eating is his best thing ever so it's a big sign it's serious.
I took him to the vet last night who gave him an analgesic and a shot of Loxicam, but he's no better today and has managed a couple of mouthfuls of food at best.
He's approx 17 (not entirely sure as we got him from a rescue 4 years ago) and one of his kidneys is not functioning brilliantly.
The vet has just said to go back in a few days if he's still not eating but I'm worried sick as they can go downhill so fast.
Has anyone had any experience of this? Is there anything I can do to help him eat? We have two other cats so I can't leave food for him to come back to as they scoff it in seconds.

NB: the vet said that he looked grumpy. I had to explain that he has Resting Grump Face by default.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 28-Nov-17 13:51:33

Oh no.
Did the vet check his teeth?

TheSpottedZebra Tue 28-Nov-17 13:52:28

He is beautiful but he does have a grumpy face grin

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 13:53:14

Yes, he had four molars taken out in July, and took quite a while to heal, but that area is ok.
The soreness seems to be around the the checks and the edges of his mouth.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 28-Nov-17 13:54:37

Oh no.
Ave you tried sloppy food that he can just lick not chew?
And maybe warming up his food, just a bit? It makes it smell more so might tempt his appetite.

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Nov-17 13:56:21

Can cats get dry socket?

MsMims Tue 28-Nov-17 13:56:22

I did think he looked fed up - then read the post to the end!

I wouldn’t want to hang about for a few days with a cat who was off their food. They can develop other very serious complications when they go off their food such as hepatic lipidosis.

When ours have gone off their food we have resorted to syringe feeding although may not be easy depending how feisty he is. Also try warming his food slightly to make it more appealing to him. Another trick is to rub it on his paws so he has to lick it off to get it clean. Anything goes so try a selection of cat and human food.

Did the vet have any suggestions about what it could be?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 13:57:45

I mashed up his wet food with a fork but it's still quite dry as it's very meaty. It's Wainwrights, perhaps I should try him with some Whiskas or similar?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 14:01:14

I didn't think about syringe feeding, that could help. He's clearly hungry but it's the eating that's causing the problem so he might well be receptive to that.
The vet had no suggestions but alluded to it being an issue with his kidneys. Alluding doesn't really help though. She just told me to come back in a couple of days if he still wasn't eating.

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Nov-17 14:03:16

lik e lix?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 14:05:42

I've not seen those before but our local PAH will have them - thanks.

MsMims Tue 28-Nov-17 14:14:05

Yes worth trying anything including ‘junk’ food like whiskas. You can blend any food down in the food processor or alternatively hills a/d is a recovery food that is already in an easy to syringe formula. A/d is also more nutritional, you’ll probably have to get it from the vet on this occasion but they can also give you the right size syringe.

I’d have wanted blood tests at the least with a history of kidney issues in an elderly cat tbh. Of course it could be his kidneys but it could also not be. Unless she was suggesting it was something viral that would pass I don’t see the benefit in waiting for him to become sicker and weaker.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 14:17:00

I totally agree, the more I think about it the more I feel like I was a little fobbed off. I was the last appointment and I'd hate to think that had anything to do with it. The surgery has treated all of our cats and hasn't let us down..yet.
I'll try mashed up/liquidized food and see how I get on. I might just get him back into the vet tonight if he's no better after that.
I know you're not supposed to have favourites but Arthur is such a massive character I can't help it and I'll be devastated to lose him.

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Nov-17 14:19:08

Can you somehow warm it a little? That can make it more appetising.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 14:20:13

I can definitely warm it. I could try warm sardines perhaps.

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Nov-17 14:35:36

It also makes it smell more inviting.
They are a worry aren't they?
Did they do blood tests? What makes them think not eating is due to kidneys?

MsMims Tue 28-Nov-17 14:37:24

Oh bless you! He looks gorgeous, I’m partial to grey and whites, they have such plush coats and I haven’t met one without a good temperament so far. Hope he’s feeling much better soon but I agree about heading back to the vet if no change. flowers

TheSpottedZebra Tue 28-Nov-17 14:39:41

Is he drinking?

Vitalogy Tue 28-Nov-17 14:42:07

Ah poor thing. Would he lick some chicken soup up at all.
My cat had all his teeth out, it gave him a new lease of life, he can still eat biscuits as well.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 14:48:11

He is drinking which is good as otherwise I'd have to add dehydration to my list of worries!
They did a blood test before he had his teeth out which was where they found out one of his kidneys wasn't quite right. At the time they just adjusted how much pain relief he had, both there and once he was home.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 28-Nov-17 14:51:31

Is he drinking more or less than usual?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 14:55:41

I think it's more or less the same but I don't always see him, and the water bowl is used by all three moggies.

retirednow Tue 28-Nov-17 15:05:28

I think cats can get mouth ulcers in kidney failure, this happened to a friend of mine. Please take him back to the vet. He is absolutely gorgeous.

timtam23 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:17:17

I hate to suggest bad diagnoses but when my old cat (18 yrs) had problems eating we were initially fobbed off slightly with "sore mouth", went back after no improvement & saw a second vet who had a much better look in his mouth & confirmed the cat had tongue cancer. There wasn't much to be done apart from palliative care (steroids) but at least we knew, and could keep him comfortable. I really hope this isn't Arthur's problem but definitely get him checked out again if he's not perking up. Good luck.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 28-Nov-17 19:08:28

Bit of an update. I coaxed Arthur into a tube of the yoghurty stuff which he wolfed down. I then mashed up a pouch which he also ate. This is more than in days.
He then legged it upstairs and I've not seen him since which is VERY unusual as he's usually my shadow, but I'm relieved at least that he's eaten and has some nutrients.
I'll try again this evening to see if he'll eat more and I'm taking him back to the vet tomorrow if I see no change.
Thanks so much everyone, it's so hard when something you love so much is poorly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: