Talk

Advanced search

How do they cope without a tail?

(15 Posts)
EachandEveryone Mon 27-Nov-17 15:19:47

Not for me my friends gutted. Her little cat came home last week with lacerations and broken claws after a week of antibiotics she has to have her tail removed tomorrow. Any experience of what to expect?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 27-Nov-17 15:44:05

Friends of mine have a cat that's lost his tail. He's fine without it.

retirednow Mon 27-Nov-17 16:04:39

They do use it for balance but manage well without it, Manx cats don't have tails. I did see something about having nerve endings in their tails that sometimes can affect their ability to pass wee and poo which is something you could talk to the vet about.

HirplesWithHaggis Mon 27-Nov-17 16:27:21

My old cat lost most of his tail at about 14 weeks, following an act of outstanding stupidity that cost him a rear leg as well. This obviously isn't the same as your friend's cat, but mine can't jump. sad

SweetChickadee Mon 27-Nov-17 16:30:53

One of ours doesn't have a tail (not sure why - we adopted her as an adult and she came like that grin)

She does just fine, though her balance isn't quite what it should be. Other than that no probs

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 27-Nov-17 16:32:38

One of my old cats had half of her tail removed after coming him with the end of it snapped! She was absolutely fine. You really wouldn’t notice any difference in how she moves.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 27-Nov-17 16:33:21

They tend to be fine but not so great at balancing and landing after jumping off something tall can be a bit wobbly. Best to keep him in until he has got used to it and learnt to compensate.

Tedster77 Mon 27-Nov-17 16:33:22

One of mine has no tail and one front leg and is a total ninja!!! Runs along roofs, comes in through upstairs windows etc. She’s amazing!!

EachandEveryone Wed 29-Nov-17 13:58:07

She’s in lots of pain the vet has given her an antibiotic injection that lasts for two weeks. Thank god for pet insurance it’s already over three grand.

SlowlyShrinking Wed 29-Nov-17 13:59:39

My cat had her tail amputated and coped absolutely fine, just accepted it, and lived to a ripe old age.

Oops4 Wed 29-Nov-17 19:16:21

My old cat her tail amputated. Vet warned us it might affect her balance. The day she got back from the vets she escaped and spent the rest of the day perched on top of the pitched garage roof in a complete huff. Didn't affect her in the slightest, although she did occasionally forget it wasn't there and lick the carpet 😂

qazxc Wed 29-Nov-17 21:32:34

I adopted a cat without a tail, she had to have it amputated after it got caught in farm machinery. She was absolutely fine without it. No problems with climbing or balance.

steppemum Wed 29-Nov-17 21:39:50

I used to live in Indonesia. There are loads of cats there, many of them feral. There is a genetic fault that has been passed to nearly all cats on the island of Java, most of them have no tails, or short tails, or tails with a right angle kink in them! They are fine, no ill side effects.

Don't forget there is also a breed of cat, the manx, that has no tail

scaryteacher Thu 30-Nov-17 08:20:34

One of mine has no tail, just a stub. He leaps, jumps, uses the trays without issue, and is 14 now.

NewtsSuitcase Thu 30-Nov-17 08:22:03

One of mine was the runt of the litter and has a tail but it sticks out at a right angle behind him. He is absolutely fine with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now