Talk

Advanced search

Rehoming?

(3 Posts)
booboobutt Fri 24-Nov-17 08:10:08

DH and I are very keen on rehoming a cat. We already have one boy (neutered) who is 6 years old. He’s very affectionate, he spends most of his days outside and then comes in for snuggles on the sofa or in our bed at night. He will meow really loudly until he’s found a lap and then will curl up and purr and give us kisses. He gets into fights occasionally with the neighbourhood cats, but with one in particular who comes too close to his territory.

This is what worries me about rehoming a new cat. We have found a lovely old boy, he was a stray but is very friendly apparently, has a few medical needs and is estimated to be 10 years old +. He also likes to go outside. We thought he could work well with our cat because he wouldn’t be very snuggly, so wouldn’t be taking up lap space. He’s also old so very unlikely to be playful and annoy our cat.

Do you have experience of taking on a new cat when you have a single cat already? Good or bad idea? We could give him such a loving home but I worry our boy won’t adjust. What happens if they don’t get on? Any advice would be greatly received, thank you.

Pic of our gorgeous boy being showered with gifts from the toddler!

Toddlerteaplease Fri 24-Nov-17 08:26:19

We did it twice when I was a teenager, they weren't friends but co existed peacefully. One was quite an old cat and the other was a kitten. We put them in the conservatory at first so they could see but not touch each other and introduced them slowly. Unfortunately both new cats died after only a couple of years of having them. (We had them one after the other)

booboobutt Fri 24-Nov-17 18:06:53

Well the rescue centre tried to introduce the old boy to another at to see how friendly he was and he was very skittish so it's probably not going to work. However the old lady cat they introduced him to was very friendly and chilled out so we're going to see her instead.

I feel bad for the boy but it seems like he wouldn't be happy in a home with another cat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: