Talk

Advanced search

New kitten, but our 3yo cat hates it...advice?

(9 Posts)
playftseforme Tue 21-Nov-17 09:22:07

We've picked up our new kitten today. 13 wks old. And our 3 year old cat has reacted v badly. What approach should I take to introduce our cat to the kitten so that we at least get to the point that it tolerates the kitten? They are currently in separate spaces.
TIA

OP’s posts: |
BrokeAndBad Tue 21-Nov-17 14:39:36

Feliway plug in
Keep them separate for now, introduce them gradually
Jackson Galaxy aka the cat whisperer might have a website with some good advice

playftseforme Tue 21-Nov-17 20:09:24

Thanks for the suggestion re Jackson Galaxy, I'd not come across him before.

Papergirl1968 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:18:01

Can we see a pic, pretty please?

WhatwouldOliviaPopedo Wed 22-Nov-17 08:24:31

When we got our kitten we were advised by our pet to keep them apart for two weeks, then slowly introduced. So we kept kitten in study with bed, food, litter tray. Big cat was aware she was in there, but wasn't fussed. We put small bits of cloth in each of their beds, then swapped them every morning so they got used to each other's scent. After two weeks we introduced them, but big one hissed so it was back in the room for a couple of days. Now, two years on, they get on fine - although small cat does irritate big cat at times.

One question though: are they opposite sexes? Again, vet advised us to get a female to go with big male cat because it's harder to integrate same sexes because of territory.

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:59:11

keep the new kitten in your bedroom with food, water, litter tray and toys. do lots of scent swapping (stroking a cat then stroking the other one).

we have introduced 3 cats to each other when we moved in here. all are fine as they are never hungry and can always find a spot to retreat to. we have also recently rescued a kitten from RSPCA (now 10 months old) and brought him home without incident using separation, play and scent swapping. all 4 cats tolerate each other - despite new kitty being the size of a house and a total doofus. my eldest cat is 11 and VERY grumpy and even she doesn’t use claws when kitten pisses her off.

and all of this takes time - separation for at least a week and make sure existing cat is never hungry.

also, don’t have 4 cats. 4 is a LOT of cats, i am finding, especially when they are all being dicks.

playftseforme Wed 22-Nov-17 09:23:10

Best photo I've got, he won't keep still long enough! My 3yo is female, new kitten is a little boy, so I hope I've got that right at least. Kitten has his base in the main bathroom and I can secure off the kitchen area to give him a bit more space. Older cat has the rest of the house.

Do you think that I should move the kitten into our bedroom? I'm not sure my DH would go for that. We don't have a spare bedroom and the study is an outside shed thing!

Ordered a feliway plug in too.

Thanks v much for all the suggestions and success stories.

Papergirl1968 Wed 22-Nov-17 09:57:08

Oh oh, that inquisitive little face and that stance says only one thing - trouble!
Adorably cute though

BrokeAndBad Wed 22-Nov-17 13:46:47

Very cute!! 😊😊

And it does take time, my DP rehomed my DM two kittens last year, he already had a grumpy older cat (who didn’t take kindly to being unsurped from his throne - basically I ruined his life 😂😳)

Grumpy old cat still grumpy old cat, he tolerates the kittens (now cats!) and they in return avoid him as much as they can.

Cats need their own space, being able to get away and being high up too

Good luck xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in