Talk

Advanced search

Hooded litter tray?

(15 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

McBounty Tue 21-Nov-17 01:30:42

What are your thoughts?

I have two almost 6 month old tabbies. I absolutely adore them.

Currently their litter trays are in the kitchen (only place for them) and sometimes I am not enjoying the dust and smells when we sit down to eat our meals in the kitchen. I am hoping a hooded litter tray will help?

Any advice welcomed.

Is it difficult for them to get used to?

Toddlerteaplease Tue 21-Nov-17 08:08:26

I got one for my girls as my tray is also in the kitchen. They took to it straight away with no issues. I swapped to a top entry litter tray in the end and that is even better.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 21-Nov-17 08:09:16

I did worry about them learning to use it. As they aren’t the brightest, but had no problems.

VeganIan Tue 21-Nov-17 09:30:47

I left the cat-flap off for a while and then put it on - they've had no issues at all with it and the joy from them not kicking litter everywhere is wonderful grin

cherrycola2004 Tue 21-Nov-17 10:17:54

put some old litter on top of the new litter in the hooded tray to encourage them in. i wouldn't leave the door on the hooded tray though.

TonicAndTonic Tue 21-Nov-17 12:32:24

I had one for a while, cat was very reluctant to use it with the door flap on (he knew how to get in and out, just didn't like being enclosed). He would use it with the hood on, but kept wiping poo on the inside of the hood and then getting it on his head! So we gave up.
Didn't seem to help with the smells - changing litter brands worked better for that i reckon. I'd be tempted to try a top entry tray in the future though.

OtterInDisgrace Fri 24-Nov-17 04:46:05

I’ve always had hooded litter trays and all of my cats have taken to them. I guess you just have to try it and see.

Tip, though. Some of them come with swing doors attached. Take it off. It’s not necessary and the cat will feel much more comfortable and likely to use it without a stupid swing door.

IceFall Fri 24-Nov-17 09:20:54

I got this one - super expensive but looks nice in the house, really does keep the smell in and also keeps tracking down a bit.

My cat took to using it easily enough but I don't think he likes it as much as his open tray (I still have that out and available as he went through a nasty time over the summer with a dodgy tummy) and best suited to young/small/agile cats as there isn't loads of room to maneuver around and get back out.

A couple of times he stepped in his poo trying to get back out...

Toddlerteaplease Fri 24-Nov-17 10:09:36

I covert one of those modest ones. I bought the cheaper petmate one also from zooplus. Couldn't justify £70 on a poo pit!

ginauk84 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:20:38

This one is fab:
Iris 2-in-1 Antibacterial Cat Litter Box

You can pull the bottom tray out and swill the wee out, pick up any poos. Really economical in that you don't get through lots of litter and it does keep smells down.

OtterInDisgrace Sat 25-Nov-17 02:52:45

I have one of these. It’s called a Booda Dome and at first I was concerned because of the shape but two cats have used and loved it. And it looks really fab and no stupid door:

*Post edited by MNHQ*

OtterInDisgrace Sat 25-Nov-17 02:53:31

You can get them in the UK that’s just the pic I found.

OtterInDisgrace Sun 26-Nov-17 03:16:53

Thank you, Mnhq! I made a right balls up of that link. Maybe this will work better:

dome uk

OtterInDisgrace Sun 26-Nov-17 03:18:44

That doesn’t seem to work either. Argh! Anyway!

It’s called a Booda Dome and it looks a bit like an igloo. Seriously it’s the best litter tray ever. It’s round which seems weird but it fits anywhere and believe it or not the cats love it.

So yeah. Recommended!

qazxc Sun 26-Nov-17 09:21:42

We have one as our cats are both enthusiastic diggers and it's brilliant as it keeps the litter from being scattered around. No issues with the cat flap type door but it is removeable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now