Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone either worked in or run a Cattery?

(8 Posts)
cheesypastatonight Tue 14-Nov-17 21:23:29

I am wanting to work for myself rather than for other people. I have run several businesses, customer facing, as well as for myself. I am wondering about buying or starting a Cattery. Seems a great venture. I understand it is quite a lifestyle job.
The thing is, I like cats, but I am not mad about them, I mean, I have one! But I wouldn't say I am cat mad, which some people have said might be an important point. I'd be happy cleaning them out, cuddling and playing with them etc. And I think I have all the business skills required.

I wonder if anyone has this kind of experience could you let me know what percentage might be cat work, cleaning etc, customer work and paperwork maybe.

What might I not have thought of? Any tips please?!

PurplePillowCase Tue 14-Nov-17 21:31:16

crazy cat people grin
find out what other catteries offer, see what you need (permissions, insurance, pens, secure outdoor run) see if that match the return...

DancesWithOtters Tue 14-Nov-17 21:55:23

I love our cattery. The owner is bonkers. She splits the hours of her day by the number of cats she has with her, and sits in their cages reading her book and talking to them. grin

She is also very patient with me asking for updates and sends photos which I love. You can tell she really loves them, and she really knows cats.

cheesypastatonight Tue 14-Nov-17 22:09:12

I've read so much about Catteries! It is just the general running of one I wonder about.

TheHeartOfTeFiti Tue 14-Nov-17 22:28:32

I worked in one years ago not complicated.

steppemum Tue 14-Nov-17 23:30:06

our neighbours have a cattery.
main thing to remember is that your busiest time of year is when everyone is on holiday, so you can't go away in school holidays etc.

Theirs isn't huge (it is not on a commercial property size, just a large garden with the cattery buildings round the edge), and they can take 40+ cats, in good size runs

cheesypastatonight Wed 15-Nov-17 07:29:55

Have you noticed any smell or noise? Do cats miaow constantly?

steppemum Wed 15-Nov-17 17:04:26

well, to be honest, they aren't direct neighbours, and i know the owners!

never noticed smell or noise when round at her house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now