Talk

Advanced search

New kitten

(36 Posts)
Nutellaplease Sun 12-Nov-17 21:47:36

We've just got a kitten today and I've been doing lots of research but still feeling slightly clueless! When we got him home he had a good look around and played with some toys, I showed him where the litter tray was twice and food and water once- he had a little drink and ate one tiny piece of the dry food. He's now been asleep for a few hours on his blanket on the sofa. I'm exhausted, can I go to bed or should I wait up a bit to show him the food and litter again? confused

dementedpixie Sun 12-Nov-17 21:52:53

Are you confining him to one room overnight? Ours were kept in the kitchen to start with and only got the run of the house after a few months. We had 2 though so they kept each other company

Nutellaplease Sun 12-Nov-17 21:55:43

No because our house is strange and has no doors downstairs except the bathroom and I obviously don't want to confine him in there.

LibbyLongtree Sun 12-Nov-17 22:04:27

I slept on the sofa for a few nights when we first got ours, not sure that's an approved method though!

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 12-Nov-17 22:06:17

My DH (cos he's soft hearted) slept on the sofa for about a week after getting our new kitten and showed it the litter tray in the night of it started doing the 'I need to wee'd squeaking.

EachandEveryone Sun 12-Nov-17 22:07:30

Make sure you close the bathroom door before you go to bed!

Nutellaplease Mon 13-Nov-17 08:35:25

So DH slept with him on the sofa and said he slept all night except a few wakes up for a little play. Ive shown him the litter again today but he still hasn’t gone in it, or eaten anything sad should I buy some wet food?

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 09:19:22

Yes I would offer wet food too. One of mine wouldn't touch dry to start with so gave them wet alongside dry. Now they eat both wet and dry. I leave dry out all the time and give 2 wet meals a day. When we first got them they had 3-4 small wet food meals a day as they eat little and often

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 09:20:53

What food was he having already? Supposed to carry on with that and then introduce new food gradually. Have you placed him in the litter? Is it the same as he had before?

Acrosstheuniverse123 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:25:11

I had this problem with mine. i was worried she wasn't litter trained, but it seemed to take 24 hours or so for her system to start working. Perhaps she was stressed. As long as your kitten knows where the litter tray is, put it in the litter tray straight after meals. They go very soon after eating. It may take some time for the kitten to adjust and feel relaxed enough to eat and eliminate. We keep ours in the utility at night They don't like the water bowl being near the litter tray by the way!
Ours now has the run of the house after a month, and is going outside for short periods, but is very cautious and we keep the door or window open when she is out.

Nutellaplease Mon 13-Nov-17 12:06:07

THanks all, I was told he will eat wet and dry so I just got dry but he still hasn’t touched it so will get wet now. Also I think the litter is different to what he had previously so I’m going to change that as well. He had an accident under our tv stand sad

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 12:10:02

Aww wee soul will just be out his comfort zone. Try putting him in the litter every so often so he can get used to the feel of it. Mix new and old types of litter if you want to change it. Offer both types of food so he at least eats something

EachandEveryone Mon 13-Nov-17 12:30:12

Yes definitely wet kitten food even if it’s just Felix for now. Can you find out what litter he had before?

CruzRamirez Mon 13-Nov-17 12:32:18

Definitely get the litter he's used to.

And OP, haven't you forgotten something...?

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 12:51:37

Where's the pictures? It's the law!!

Nutellaplease Mon 13-Nov-17 13:04:02

Sorry :D

EachandEveryone Mon 13-Nov-17 13:15:53

Oh my he’s tiny!!! What’s his name? Gorgeous.

esk1mo Mon 13-Nov-17 13:24:47

when i got my cat at 8 weeks (shes 3 now) she didnt poo for 2-3 days. i think its the stress of moving. the vet can give some oil to help move things along if she is still not going.

LazySusan11 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:40:22

We made the mistake of bringing our 2 rescues up to bed with us. Now 1 of them absolutely believes that’s her bed and every bloody night I have to move her off my side where she curls up against my pillow glaring at me. I wake up with her tucked up between dh and I snoring, or her sticking her paws in my face at rude o’clock. Do not do this you will never sleep well again!

Disclaimer; we have shut her out of the bedroom but then had to replace the carpet where she had shredded it!

Nutellaplease Mon 13-Nov-17 19:55:27

He's eaten the wet food and poo'd in the litter tray with the new litter so I'm feeling very relieved, just need a wee in the litter tray now. He's very playful and seems to enjoy spending time in the living room the most, he hasn't ventured upstairs alone might be another night on the sofa for DH- luckily its very comfortable to sleep on grin

Am I right in thinking he needs injections soon? I was going to phone the vet and register him and ask them if I can take him in for a check up just to make sure all is well. Also defleaing and deworming- seller said she's done this but I need to continue to do so I think?

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 20:02:30

Yes take to the vet. I had to give liquid wormer for 3 days every 2 weeks for a couple of months i think (panacur). I got flea treatments from them too. As they grow they are supposed to get flea treated every 4 weeks and wormed every 3 months. There are 2 sets of injections as a kitten and then boosters annually

You'll also need to think about neutering which can be done from 4 months

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 20:06:38

Checked jabs for mine - given at 9 weeks them 12 weeks and then annual boosters

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 20:07:07

Don't forget insurance and microchipping too

Nutellaplease Mon 13-Nov-17 20:37:22

Thanks demented! I will make a vet appointment asap, sorted insurance last night smile

EachandEveryone Tue 14-Nov-17 10:59:03

My vet does a monthly program £12 for everything it’s beneficial in the first year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: