Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else's cat do this?

(37 Posts)
YouthsAStuffWillNotEndure Sun 12-Nov-17 12:57:02

I walk a lot around our village and often when I am on my way home my cat leaps out at me from a hedge or somebody's garden, meowing joyfully and trots along beside me the rest of the way home.

This makes me absurdly happy, to be recognised and greeted and accompanied in this way.

DH says I look like the village witch with her familiar....

TheQueenOfWands Sun 12-Nov-17 12:57:42

No. But if they did I'd be thrilled.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Sun 12-Nov-17 12:59:14

Mine when I was a girl used to come and meet me from the school bus.

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Sun 12-Nov-17 12:59:31

Yes !!! My poor deceased dcat used to do the school run with me. My remaining dcat isn't as adventurous but will still greet me and walk part of the way....I love it !!

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sun 12-Nov-17 13:00:54

yep ours used to

cat games innit - hide and jump out at you

they all used to come on the dog walk too smile

it was like the circus lol

DramaAlpaca Sun 12-Nov-17 13:03:13

As a child we lived very rurally & my mum used to take us for walks in the fields. Our lovely cat would come with us all the way there & back.

killerwhale Sun 12-Nov-17 13:03:50

Mine does this and I love it, she actually follows me half way to school on the school run then waits patiently on the wall until I’m on my way back and hops off the wall meowing gleefully! I love it

Wolfiefan Sun 12-Nov-17 13:04:27

Yep. Same as fur lined. Mine often leap out of trees and hedges, miaow and follow the hound and I on our walk!

JennyOnAPlate Sun 12-Nov-17 13:06:31

Our old boy did. He died 18 months ago now and I still miss him accompanying me home.

Thumbcat Sun 12-Nov-17 13:07:17

My old cat used to do this when I came home from work. I know just what you mean about it making you absurdly happy.

Bumblina Sun 12-Nov-17 13:07:40

Yes ours used to do that. They would follow my mum when she was delivering Christmas cards. Our ginger tom used to follow me to school all the time, and would miaow outside classrooms. It was quite embarrassing as a 13 year old but so sweet. Although the miaows were not specifically for me, he just wanted attention and loved the kids.

YouthsAStuffWillNotEndure Sun 12-Nov-17 13:52:34

Yes killerwhale I have noticed the only place he will not follow me is if I'm crossing the road to post a letter - he is terrified of cars so will not come onto the main road but waits for me to re-cross to continue our walk.

JingleBellTime Sun 12-Nov-17 14:03:25

As a child we had a cat that regularly came out on walks with the dogs. As a farm cat when he got bored he turned around and went home.

Previous dcat was a horror for trying t o follow the DC to school, they had to find ways of leaving the house without her otherwise they would miss their bus as she had to be brought bCk home. She usually waited for them to come home either just down the road or on the windowsill

Current cat is a little timid but sometimes she waits on the windowsill however as we don't keep regular hours here anymore it is much harder for her to know.

YouthsAStuffWillNotEndure Sun 12-Nov-17 14:12:55

My childhood cat was always waiting on the doorstep for me when I came home from school. I used to wonder how she knew the time?!

TheLongRider Sun 12-Nov-17 14:47:45

Mine try and race me home for the last few houses and then act all nonchalant when they "win". They stroll out if the shrubbery, licking a paw as if they had been there all day!

Does anyone elses cat flop down in the middle of the narrowest part of the path and insist on being rubbed? So that you nearly trip over them or squish them with your bicycle!

Flyinggeese Sun 12-Nov-17 14:54:54

Oh this is lovely. I'm in the thinking stage of getting a cat. Only done cat sitting before which I love.

AnxietyStrikes Sun 12-Nov-17 15:13:32

Yes our little girl goes out most of the day, then when I'm out taking my dd for a walk I can hear her meowing very loudly from 3-4 gardens away and all of a sudden she's on top of the fence saying hello smile

She also greets DP everyday when he comes home by following the car onto the drive - she must recognise the car!

She is a lovely cat I wouldn't be without her

YouthsAStuffWillNotEndure Sun 12-Nov-17 15:23:53

Flyinggeese I had cats as a child and loved them but didn't have one for 30 years as an adult because we lived overseas. Then 5 years ago we got one because the children wanted it and I am SO glad we did! I really love him and didn't realise there was a cat-shaped hole in my life until he came along and filled it!

Flyinggeese Sun 12-Nov-17 15:32:47

Youths one lot of cat sitting was last weekend. My brother's cat was here as they were moving house (cat has been to our house before but as a kitten before he's been outdoors at all). The cat was a bit unsettled due to all the changes and had a nervousness weeing problem (on and off the litter tray, wee a bit pink). Oh my goodness I was preoccupied with cat wee and making him feel settled, realised by the Sunday evening I hadn't done my usual shopping or housework! He just took over.

We got him a vet appointmeant by the way.

I just felt so overwhelmingly responsible for this little fella.

PeskyRat Sun 12-Nov-17 16:14:20

Yes, all my cats have done this or similar.

Also, when I was pregnant with my first DC, my cat at the time used to follow me to the end of the road where our high street was and without fail when I returned from shopping or whatever, she would be there waiting for me and walk back with me.

Another time my cat (different one this time!) followed me to my DC primary school one morning when I had a meeting, and while I was sitting in the school office we heard meowing outside and she had actually come right into the school grounds, me and the staff were in stitches grin

PeskyRat Sun 12-Nov-17 16:17:33

Bumblina I see my cat wasn't the only one who did the school thing, so sweet but also hilarious to me smile

susurration Sun 12-Nov-17 16:20:02

Suscat doesn't really go far, but there have been times when I've pulled up on our driveway and she has appeared meowing happily at me from the neighbours bushes. She is mostly in the house though, and when we get home she greets us at the stairs for head boops and chin scratches.

susurration Sun 12-Nov-17 16:24:36

Also she likes to be in the same room as us and follows us around the house. Sometimes if she is in the garden and you wave to her from an upstairs window she'll come back inside for a cuddle.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Sun 12-Nov-17 16:37:41

Previous cats did (all three would also come blackberrying with us on our street). Our current two are far too idle to do anything that active.

BulletFox Sun 12-Nov-17 16:40:15

Yes, she's sometimes sprung out at me from hedges and nearly tripped me over, and she streams out at me like a mini dodgem car with a very erect tail when I make the approach home.it is absolutely gorgeous smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now