Talk

Advanced search

New kitten vomiting & diarrhoea

(16 Posts)
ThoseFlapsInsideYourCheeks Sun 12-Nov-17 02:19:53

I’ve just received my Sphynx today.

Fed her about an hour after she got here, she ate fairly well, gave her the food the breeder gave me. Then I fed her again about 4 hours later, she ate the whole bowl and drank some water. Was pretty impressed she was settling so well.

Well about 30 mins later she ends up having a small amount of loose stool, it wasn’t watery, it was not formed though.
I thought maybe stress, sphynx have sensitive stomachs.

Well, since then she refuses to eat, she’s had two more loose stools which are getting darker in colour and now she’s just vomited. This happened at 1:30am.
She’s not hungry at all. She’s drank some water though thank god.

I’ve had her less than 24 hours, this is not normal is it?
I’ve texted the breeder and to be honest I just want her to take her back, I think she may have already been sick before leaving their house because she was meowing incessantly when she got here, and meowing when she was eating which I know is just not right.

My petplan doesn’t cover illness for the first two weeks to add to the injury, and I just want to see this kitten better! I just don’t think she should of let me have her in this state sad

It’s worth noting she just had her 12 week vaccines done on Thursday, not sure if this is connected.

Can someone advise me what to do? Other than find a vet on a Sunday blush

RubbishMantra Sun 12-Nov-17 04:36:24

As you said, getting kitten to the vet of utmost importance. Pets At Home have a vet in-store which are open on Sundays. They can go down-hill v. fast when so tiny. Keep her warm in the meantime, possibly even more important for a Sphinx?

I wouldn't bet on the breeder being much help tbh, if they let a sick kitten out of their care. sad However, it's standard for breeders to sell kittens with 4 weeks Petplan insurance included, is this not the case?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 12-Nov-17 07:46:57

Phone your own vet if you have one as they may have a surgery today. If your kitten needs to be admitted PAH vets tend to use a separate out of hours vets and are likely to have to transport the kitten at 5pm today and 8am tomorrow between the surgeries.
An independent practice that does their own out of hours may charge you mire to be seen today, but if the kitten needs to be admitted it will stay in one place.

ferrier Sun 12-Nov-17 07:50:31

The meowing is very normal and I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to being ill, just generally being unsettled. Which could also be the cause of the d&v but I would take Sphynx to the vets. They can give anti-sickness stuff etc.

ThoseFlapsInsideYourCheeks Sun 12-Nov-17 09:20:21

Hi thanks for the replies.
Yes she did come with 4 weeks PetPlan but the first two weeks doesn’t cover illness, how useful is that?!

Breeder is very concerned and wants me to update her which is great, she said she will come and take her off me if she gets worse.

Good news though she has eaten food this morning and she’s now fast asleep, breeder is asking me if she’s playful, and she isn’t yet.

I’m keeping her on purely wet food today. No mixing of foods or anything like that, I think she is just not used to how quiet it is, she’s used to jumping around with her brothers and sisters!

ThoseFlapsInsideYourCheeks Sun 12-Nov-17 09:21:51

Also, I think she threw up because she ate a bit of cat litter blush
I was half asleep when it happened (2am) but I definitely remember her chewing the litter now and throwing it straight back up.

RubbishMantra Sun 12-Nov-17 13:36:14

So you've decided not to contact the vet? Why's that then?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 12-Nov-17 13:42:00

Was it clumping? It can expand in their stomachs & cause problems.

isadorable Mon 13-Nov-17 01:19:46

How is she now? When they're small you really need to get them to a vet if they are listless, vomiting, upset tum etc as they can go downhill very fast. She's unsettled, stressed and needs to get used to you and your house for sure but I really would take her to a vet for a check.

Silvercatowner Mon 13-Nov-17 06:31:45

She needs to see a vet.... they are so tiny and can go very rapidly downhill. sad

ThoseFlapsInsideYourCheeks Mon 13-Nov-17 10:58:32

She’s actually ok. Stools back to normal, no sick, eating plenty. She’s been running round the house like mad. I think it was just the first night.

I had contacted the breeder and she had asked me to just give her wet food, it made all the difference.

It was the biscuits giving her loose stool. And she ate the cat litter which made her throw up.

She’s totally come out her shell now.

ThoseFlapsInsideYourCheeks Mon 13-Nov-17 11:00:14

Here’s some pics smile

ThoseFlapsInsideYourCheeks Mon 13-Nov-17 11:01:54

Fluffycloudland it’s not that expanding type stuff. More like little pellets, she threw it straight back up after trying to eat it.

RubbishMantra Mon 13-Nov-17 15:07:18

She is lovely. I have a semi hairless breed myself, a Devon Rex. They feel so warm to the touch, don't they? Do keep a hawk eye on her though, whilst settling in, in regard to the being sick and diarrhea.

Allergictoironing Mon 13-Nov-17 16:20:02

All wrinkly!!! That is sooo cute - even though I like a cat with a thick coat for myself (keeps my hands warm buried in it on a chilly evening grin)

ThoseFlapsInsideYourCheeks Mon 13-Nov-17 17:01:28

She is like a radiator Rubbish!!

I’ve seen those Devon Rex and I can’t believe how similar they look to the Sphynx!

I used to think that furry cats were cuter but she has completely converted me Allergic grin

Still keeping my eye on her but so far so good, have booked her in for a checkup at the vets soon to be on the safe side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now