Talk

Advanced search

Cats and drinking

(20 Posts)
LagoDiComo Fri 10-Nov-17 14:18:42

Hi, our cat doesn't drink anything at all. We have tried a water fountain, cups, bowls, glasses, rain water, filtered water, running tap water, kettle water, etc. When he is presented with water, he has no idea what it is for.

Should I be worried that later life he'll have kidney problems? He eats wet food (4 x 50g Sheba packets a day) and the vet doesn't think he is dehydrated. Would be interested in how common non drinking cats are. He will drink cat milk sometimes but he's not overly keen on that either.

BertrandRussell Fri 10-Nov-17 14:21:06

I practically never see my cats drinking. And when I do it's always from disgusting puddle or flower pot water. I wouldn't worry-I think it's quite usual.

Doobigetta Fri 10-Nov-17 14:32:15

Mine drinks a lot if she's on dry food only, but hardly any if she has even one wet meal a day. I wouldn't worry about it if yours is on wet food.

Allergictoironing Fri 10-Nov-17 15:45:38

Remember that cats were originally desert animals, and can get most of their water from the food they eat. Like people different cats like to drink different amounts, so if yours is eating mostly wet food and your vet is happy then I wouldn't worry.

Briette Fri 10-Nov-17 15:50:38

I’ve never once seen my tom even look at water but he pees frequently and expansively so he’s clearly managing somehow! The other one drinks plenty regularly and only uses the litter tray for dainty little puddles. It’s a mystery how the boy is so cunning about it when he lacks in stealth in every other way.

ispyfun Fri 10-Nov-17 16:11:41

My cat never seems to drink much which was never a problem until recently, age has meant she's started to get regular UTI's. To help get more fluid into her the vet suggested putting 1 teaspoon of water onto her wet food (she has 1/2 pouch of wet food morning and night with dry food to help herself to when she wants it). This works very well and means I know she's getting at least 2 teaspoons water per day at least.

SoupDragon Fri 10-Nov-17 16:14:44

My cat started drinking water when I put it away from his food. Someone (on MN, naturally) said something about them not liking to drink near their food or "kill" as it would have been in the wild. No idea if it's true but I have noticed himdrinking sonce (and I assume it's not because he is ill). Although the water bowl is actually near the dog's food bowl so perhaps that doesn't make sense... hmmm.

LagoDiComo Fri 10-Nov-17 16:57:11

That's reassuring, thanks everyone! I also tried moving the water bowl away from the food but that did nothing either. I may try adding a bit of water to the food if I can do this without being discovered.

cozietoesie Fri 10-Nov-17 17:35:53

....without being discovered....grin

Allergictoironing Fri 10-Nov-17 18:10:53

You could try & see if he likes really wet food like Lik e Lix to up the liquid content?

dementedpixie Fri 10-Nov-17 18:13:24

Mine don't drink the bowl water but drink out the green manky pond at the bottom of the garden!

HemanOrSheRa Fri 10-Nov-17 18:19:49

Neither of mine drink at all if I give them their own water. They do occasionally have a nip from the dog's water bowl but I think this is to annoy her more than anything grin. My old cat would only drink out of a half pint glass.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:25:22

I mix water in with his food. He has gourmet in gravy so he can't grumble.

Thumbcat Fri 10-Nov-17 19:28:48

Mine sits in the bath and demands to have the tap turned on to drink from.

Moose23ishungry Fri 10-Nov-17 19:33:44

When we adopted our boy, we were told that he hates being watched while drinking water. He doesn't do it often, but we take great delight in spying on him when he does drink water!

He seems to prefer to drink from the watering can outdoors than his clean bowl smile

HemanOrSheRa Fri 10-Nov-17 19:35:48

Hehe! What a funny little pickle Moose smile.

thecatneuterer Fri 10-Nov-17 20:04:56

Cats get most of their water intake from their food. So if he's only eating wet food you don't need to worry. Leave a water bowl down, but don't worry about it.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 11-Nov-17 16:02:38

Mine both drink well. Mainly from a cup I put next to the radiator to add some moisture to the air. It’s adding moisture to the cats instead!

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 12-Nov-17 15:32:29

Mine won’t touch the clean, fresh water in her dish, which is changed every time someone is in the kitchen, but loves to lap from filthy puddles. She wolfs down cat milk on the occasions she gets that though.

cozietoesie Sun 12-Nov-17 16:41:22

I’m shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you - that none of you seem to buy in (vastly expensive) unchlorinated spring water for them. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now