Talk

Advanced search

Adopting and older cat with arthritis

(17 Posts)
MsHippo Thu 09-Nov-17 19:35:16

DP and I are looking to adopt a cat and have found a gorgeous girl who sounds just right for us. However she is 12 years old and has some arthritis in her hips. According to the rescue centre vet, it's not very bad and most of the time you can't tell, but she does need occasional pain killers.

Does anyone have experience with adopting an older cat, or one with arthritis? Good or bad experiences, happy stories. It takes of caution all welcome! Thanks smile

MsHippo Thu 09-Nov-17 19:35:52

*or tales of caution!! Note to self, proof-read BEFORE you click post!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:46:02

You'll get more replies in the litter tray section.

Arthritis doesn't seem to be a major problem though for older adoptees. Cats don't exactly make an effort to be active do they?.

MsHippo Thu 09-Nov-17 20:08:26

Thanks - I've reported and asked for it to be moved.

ditzychick34 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:39:44

I would be tempted to give someone like petplan a call and see how much the insurance would be. You need to bear in mind the ongoing cost of her care, and whether you can afford to provide it BUT you will potentially be the only chance she has grin

MuggaTea Thu 09-Nov-17 20:45:20

I adopted my feline overlord 5 years ago when he was 14. On metacam for his arthritis in his hips. Its never been a problem.

He is now 19 and has slowed down.... but still trying to start fights with the neighbours cat.

At the age of 14 he was still trying his best to get stuck on the neighbours shed.

At the age of 19, he is a complete lap cat, but still able to get on chairs, beds and sofas.

We have never had insurance as it was pre-existing condition. though tbh i never investigated it as an option.

older cats are great.

womaninatightspot Thu 09-Nov-17 20:51:40

We adopted a twelve year old cat ( and her then one year old son) about 18mo ago. She's a dream cat so chilled and easy. She was overweight when we got her and still is (as she steals food from her son and has had a gazillion kittens so a saggy mummy tummy) no other issues. Really easygoing, sweet tempered family cat. Surprisingly nippy so does catch a fair few mice too.

I think 12 might be the perfect age for a cat smile

cozietoesie Thu 09-Nov-17 22:51:56

My last cat came to me at 14 and by 16 or 17 had developed arthritis. It was kept well under control by meloxicam until he reached very advanced years and needed some supplemental pain relief. He also had an electric blanket to lie on. (He made it to just over 22.)

I’d go for it. smile

MuggaTea Thu 09-Nov-17 23:04:00

12 is a youngster grin

cozietoesie Fri 10-Nov-17 00:15:50

Well to me it is. smile Sadly, if you see the stats though, you realise that if a 12 year old cat doesn’t have arthritis, they’re lucky.

Lots of heat. smile

cozietoesie Fri 10-Nov-17 00:20:34

Here you go. Some pretty authoritative guidance.

Arthritis in cats

HoppityHopHop Fri 10-Nov-17 10:42:12

A few years ago we adopted a 16 year old black cat who had thyroid problems. Was only with us for 6 months before passing over the rainbow bridge, but honestly I do not regret the decision at all. She was a lovely sweet affectionate cat and unfortunately her previous owners had died. So happy I have her a loving home for the last of her life and not stuck in a rescue centre.

MsHippo Fri 10-Nov-17 11:18:36

Thanks folks, this is all quite reassuring. We are going for an introduction with her tomorrow so I'll keep you posted how it goes smile

Vinorosso74 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:26:03

It's great you're looking to adopt an older cat as they do stay in rescues a lot longer. Older cats are lovely-generally calmer (not always). No advice on arthritis but do get the best insurance cover you can as cats can develop a variety of ongoing health issues as they age.

ditzychick34 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:01:40

Let us know how it went, then photo please!

MsHippo Sat 11-Nov-17 17:29:53

Just wanted to update you. We met her and she was absolutely gorgeous. We went for a really long walk and talk though, and after much deliberation we decided that now wasn't the right time to get a cat, we're just too busy to give her the life she deserves sad DP particularly is really sad, I think he fell in love with her a bit, but it was also his decision in the end that it wasn't the right time for us.

cozietoesie Sat 11-Nov-17 17:47:09

Fair enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now