Talk

Advanced search

Possible to have a cat when we live in two places?

(16 Posts)
Windyone Tue 07-Nov-17 16:25:18

I think I know this isn't possible but I thought I'd ask those in the know.
Due to my husband's job we live between two houses. I would love to have a cat but could it work if we had to move it every few months? Has anyone been in this situation?
I think I'm clutching at straws! Thanks.

Wolfiefan Tue 07-Nov-17 16:27:32

Indoor only cat? Some rescues only rehome certain cats indoors.
How far apart are homes? Mine travel VERY badly. We always have wee, poo and generally vomit too when we visit the vet. 5 mins up the road.

strawberrypenguin Tue 07-Nov-17 16:29:23

No cats don’t travel well and like ‘their’ space.

House rabbit? Dog? Both would likely cope with those changes better

thecatneuterer Tue 07-Nov-17 16:30:48

Exactly. How much travelling would be involved?

I think with the right cat (middle aged or older, happy to be indoors and laid back about travelling) then it would be possible.

TizzyDongue Tue 07-Nov-17 16:31:32

Do Siamese cats ever appear in rescue centres? Isn't this a breed that attaches to their family rather than the territory?

Windyone Tue 07-Nov-17 16:33:02

It's a 3 hour drive and a 2 hour ferry trip sad I had a rescue cat about 10 years ago who had no issues with travelling. Before I got her she travelled regularly by road from London to Edinburgh. I think your experience is more usual. I know it's probably not possible I think I just wanted a magic solution!

Windyone Tue 07-Nov-17 16:34:29

Thanks for the replies. I think I might have to wait until my husband retires.

Papergirl1968 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:08:28

Dcat travels well and since we’ve had him, we’ve taken him on self catering holidays, with no issues. But then we started taking him to my mom’s and for little drives from when we had him at 12 weeks old. He adapts amazingly well to holiday homes. Not sure how he would be with a ferry crossing though as I don’t think you can usually stay in the car with them.
Your best bet would be to get a secure carrier but check with the ferry company if he would be allowed in the lounges etc - wouldn’t be much fun to have to stay on deck in bad weather.

Oops4 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:53:53

We've taken our cat back and forward to my parents since she was a kitten (1.5 hr drive and half an hour ferry) and she's fine. She gets a bit disgruntled about the joinery but not distressed at all, more of a huff! But once there it's like her home from home. Settles in straight away. We had intended she would stay in at my parents by she was having none of it and happily goes in and out at either house. I think if ou start it as a kitten you might be fine

rslsys Tue 07-Nov-17 20:20:44

DD1's cat comes with them for holidays to our house - 5 hour trip, no problems.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 07-Nov-17 20:52:45

My mate takes her cat to Ireland for 3 months ever year. It's a chilled out manky old tabby that she got from a rescue, he seems so grateful to be around her it doesn't mind.

DumbledoresApprentice Tue 07-Nov-17 20:59:24

My rescue cat likes people and isn’t fussed about where she is. We’ve taken her on a self catering holiday three and a half hours away with no problems. She apparently settled immediately at the shelter and was stretched out on the sofa and on my lap as soon as we got her home, no hiding or anything, and she seems to actively like the vet. With all that in mind we decided to decide taking her with us on holiday and it’s definitely something we plan to do on UK holidays in future. She tolerates the car OK but doesn’t love it. I keep her on a harness and she likes to sleep on my lap for a bit before she’ll settle in her carrier.
For me it would depend on how often you move between homes. Every week or two I probably wouldn’t. One a month or less then I’d consider it. I follow someone on social media who drives from London to Sweden and back with their cats a couple of times a year.

Theresahairbrushinthefridge Tue 07-Nov-17 22:30:15

Our cats have always travelled. As children we took them from the city to the country every weekend.

All the cats I have owned in the last 20 years have enjoyed the a 4 hr commute to Cornwall for holidays. We are lucky to go there a lot. 11 weeks in total last year. My current three love it. They go to sleep and don’t make a sound. Are out catching mice within 5 mins of arrival.

We have wire mesh baskets that are roomy so they can see out. When my current kitten was tiny we travelled him in a dog crate so he had enough room for a litter tray.

holdbackonthewine Tue 07-Nov-17 22:47:58

Our first cat used regularly (maybe a weekend a month) used to come with us to my parents’ house a two hour drive away. She also went if we went on holiday. She seemed as happy and familiar there as at home, perhaps as we did it from a kitten.

SilverSpot Wed 08-Nov-17 15:03:27

Not rabbit, they cope even worse than cats with change!

AlexaAmbidextra Thu 09-Nov-17 22:56:49

I know a cat that travels regularly between her London home and the cottage in Norfolk. She's equally content in both as long as she's with her hoomans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now