Talk

Advanced search

Norwegian mist cats

(17 Posts)
Catlovingmama Mon 06-Nov-17 20:06:54

Does anyone have experience of these cats?

I met a gorgeous kitten with super temperament yesterday who has just come home to her new family and is settling really well and I'm so tempted to get a kitten from the same breeder.

Everything I read about them sounds lovely especially that they are very affectionate.

Does anyone know if they are high maintenance like bengals (had one in the past)?

Catlovingmama Mon 06-Nov-17 20:10:34

Sorry my thread title makes no sens - I mean Australian mist cats blush

LibbyLongtree Tue 07-Nov-17 07:40:31

Sorry, no experience but I googled the breed. They sound fantastic if you're home a lot.

secretnutter Tue 07-Nov-17 12:59:55

My aunt has 2 Australian mists, I don’t know them hugely well, but they seem very friendly and the male very affectionate and mischievous, the female more aloof, but still cuddly, more than anything they’re stunning cats grin x

Catlovingmama Tue 07-Nov-17 14:17:24

Thanks guys [smile

There is someone home almost all the time. Secret, interesting one is aloof - the websites do make it sound like you are guaranteed a lap cat but of course it doesn't work like that!

MayorGoodway Tue 07-Nov-17 14:21:46

I don’t know much about the breed but if you’re looking for a snuggly lap cat then you can’t go wrong with a Ragdoll. They are absolutely adorable and so very cuddly. I wanted one for years but DH thought they were just expensive moggies. Finally got him to agree to one and even he is besotted!

LibbyLongtree Tue 07-Nov-17 18:19:02

MayorGoodway

Oh my, that is a seriously beautiful cat, not jealous at all grin

MayorGoodway Tue 07-Nov-17 18:31:23

Thanks, would you believe she is a rescue?!
She is an ex breeding queen and the breeders didn’t want her once she couldn’t have anymore babies. She is happy as Larry with us though and is good as gold with our DC.

She isn’t very bright though grin

DumbledoresApprentice Tue 07-Nov-17 20:50:02

I have a beautiful rescue cat too. She’s a Maine Coon and utterly lovely. She is super laid back and loves a cuddle and a fuss. Here she is one picture being cuddly and one being glamorous. The best way to get the temperament you want in a cat is to get an adult cat IMO. Temperament varies far more within breeds than between them in my experience. The only way to know what sort of personality a cat will have is to get it when it’s old enough to have already developed its own character.

Catlovingmama Tue 07-Nov-17 21:00:32

Very good point about adult cars!

LibbyLongtree Tue 07-Nov-17 21:57:05

Another gorgeous one, Dumbledore. Couldn't agree more with posts that breed is no marker of temperament - we have a Maine coon and she is the most nervous flighty cat I have ever met. I have read a lot of success stories about very nervous rescue cats eventually becoming cuddly lap cats though.

We had two Maine Coons. One was a perfect lap cat and the nicest cat we have ever owned. The others was a stunning looking animal but very cat who walked by himself. He only sat on people when he was wet and wanted to warm up on a human.

thecatneuterer Wed 08-Nov-17 14:21:51

If you want a cuddly lap cat then most rescues should be able to point you to suitable candidates. I have one staying with me at the moment whose owner died and all she wants to do is cuddle. I've never known such an affectionate cat. And she's used to being indoor only.

So if anyone comes to our rescue wanting an affectionate, laid back, indoor only cuddly cat she'll be one they'll be told about. And most rescues will know the personalities of the cats with them very well and will be able to guide you in the same way.

You don't need to go for particular breeds to get the personalities you want and it's true that breed can't guarantee personality anyway.

Do consider an adult rescue and if you're in London how about the one I mentioned

Ollivander84 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:26:51

That ^^
Except mine wasn't introduced as a lap cat grin but he strolled out his carrier, miaowed at me and then sat in my lap while I was too stunned to move 😂
Rescue person has since been to visit him and said he's the most affectionate weird cat she's ever come across. He will be stroked, bear hugged, kissed, hold paws, say "mama" and never ever gets fed up

Catlovingmama Wed 08-Nov-17 14:30:07

Do you know catneuterer be decided since starting this thread that I'm definitely going to go for a rescue cat! I don't mind about looks really, just want a gorgeous cuddly cat.

I can't take a cat at the mo as we move house soon so it's a long term plan - I'm thinking mid next year - can't wait.

Ollivander84 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:34:29

The downside is I never get to drink anything hot as he's permanently sat like this

Catlovingmama Wed 08-Nov-17 14:36:36

Cute bear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now