Talk

Advanced search

Best cat shampoo

(7 Posts)
DefinitelyOdd Mon 06-Nov-17 18:31:22

So my adventures of owning a longhaired cat are taking me into uncharted territory. I have dematted her completely over the course of a week and I have noticed that she has quite a lot of dead skin cells so I think she needs a bath.

I have only owned one other long haired cat. She was a nutcase that had to be regularly shaved under anesthetics due to her trying to take your face off if she even thought you were going to groom her, so bathing a cat is not my forte.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for shampoos? And tips to make it not traumatising for both me and her?

mrsRosaPimento Mon 06-Nov-17 18:39:57

My Persian was washed in Johnson’s baby shampoo. We did get a special cat shampoo once. Smelt funny. A different cat came in soaked in black engine oil, so we washed him in washing up liquid, like a penguin in an oil slick.
I wash the dog in the baby shampoo because it is ‘no tears’. Except for me, because he only gets washed if he’s rolled in poo or dead thing.

thecatneuterer Mon 06-Nov-17 19:17:30

You don't need to bath her. The dandruff is a result of the mats. Now the mats are gone the skin will soon clear up by itself. You should really only consider bathing them if they have something horrible stuck to their fur.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 06-Nov-17 19:45:44

One of my long haired Persians has occasional dandruff. I put a few drops of salmon oil on their dry food every couple of days. It really does work. I’ve also introduced a couple of wet pouches a week. It’s worked wonders. I’ve never bathed them. Though I bet they’d look really cute wet.

mrsRosaPimento Mon 06-Nov-17 20:11:55

My Persian would sometimes get poop stuck in her fur.blush

DoraChance Mon 06-Nov-17 20:14:50

I think Pets at Home do some kind of cleansing wipe that might be useful.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:16:49

I wouldn't bother unless it's poo related.

You'll both hate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now