Talk

Advanced search

When do they get their miaow - or do they??

(24 Posts)
MaudesMum Fri 03-Nov-17 19:45:39

My now twelve week old kitten has a bat-like squeak, which is either getting more audible as I get better at detecting it, or is actually getting louder. She greets me with a squeak when she's excited and also squeaks when she's doing the mad running around and ricocheting off walls thing - but that's it. Do kittens get more vocal as they turn into cats??

Vitalogy Fri 03-Nov-17 19:59:05

Your post reminded me of this lion cub trying to roar.
Our cat is about 12 and he has a gravelly miaow. She'll get louder.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H75kyGItXFo

Toddlerteaplease Sat 04-Nov-17 07:26:44

One of mine was mute when I got her aged 5. I’d see her meow but it was silent. She’s only found her voice in the last 9 months or so.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 04-Nov-17 07:26:55

She’s now 7

madeyemoodysmum Sat 04-Nov-17 07:43:56

My eldest never meowed for 13 years unless she was ill When her sister died and I got two kittens she started meowing properly. Needed to make herself heard more I assume.

harrietm87 Sat 04-Nov-17 07:56:00

Mine had a strong miaow from when we got him at 8 weeks - he mewed pitifully all the way home - it was heartbreaking! He's very vocal now (at 6) and has a whole repertoire of different ones with different meanings. He's much chattier than all the other cats I've had.

Allergictoironing Sat 04-Nov-17 08:21:11

Mine were very quiet when I got them about 18 months ago at about 2 years old, Girlcat would occasionally make very quiet murmuring noises to Boycat but that was it.

As time has gone by, they've started to talk a lot more and a bit louder, but nothing that really counts as a miaow. They both purr audibly now (though Girlcat is still very quiet), they make sort of "Maah!" noises, and Boycat has recently started a strange noise that sounds a bit like a wood pigeon with a sore throat cooing, Oh and Girlcat does the closest to a miaow, a sort of strangled "me" noise when she's after something.

DumbledoresApprentice Sat 04-Nov-17 09:07:40

My cat does the pigeon noise too! It’s really hard to describe but I know exactly the sound you mean. My cat is about 4 years old. She doesn’t have much of a meow even now but has leaned to meow a bit from next-door’s cat over the last 6 months or so.

Checklist Sat 04-Nov-17 10:57:08

Ours are nearly two and have never meowed! SisterCat has no voice, so she does the silent meow - this has got more frequent, as presumably she tries to enter in conversation with us! For instance, if I am on the landing, she always gets eye contact with me, looks pointedly up at the airing cupboard and does the silent meow until I open the door for her and put her on the first shelf!

BrotherCat only ever squeaks - this can go on for a long time, such as when we have been out and he has chosen to stay out in the garden. He gives us the benefit of his opinions on British weather when we get back!

scurryfunge Sat 04-Nov-17 11:05:14

Mine chirrups. I can tell whether it's a "feed me" noise or a "look what I've brought you" noise. Adult cats don't miaow at each other, they have continued to miaow at humans after kittenhood just as a means of communicating control

NickMyLipple Sat 04-Nov-17 11:07:45

My girl is about 7 months old and it's still very high pitched!

WeeBeasties Sat 04-Nov-17 11:12:21

My boy didn't really meow for the first two years, only a strained croacky 'eeeh' sort of noise. The girl cat meows a lot, all the time, very loudly. Boy cat has only just started to meow properly- i think he's copying her.

Inkandbone Sat 04-Nov-17 11:14:40

I wish mine didn't miaow!

Girl cat has a squeaky mew. Her brother has a lovely miaow - very gentle. The two other fuckers YOWL. I hate it!

BulletFox Sat 04-Nov-17 11:34:19

I've only had two cats - first one was a kitten and poor little thing was terrified and hid behind the piano for 2 days before she ventured out. I was a primary school kid desperate to love her.

As far as I remember she always meowed but she was always quite a happy, affectionate, independent cat

My current cat was 4 when I got her, she turns meows into a bloodcurling operatic art form. It's like she puts her whole soul into expressing her wants and it is almost like listening to an aria when she does one of her wails

theotherendofthesockportal Sat 04-Nov-17 11:40:02

@scurryfunge my girl cat never read the rule book about cats not meowing at each other. She has a special meow for our boy cat and always greets him when he comes home.

Our girl cat is extremely vocal and has been since the day we collected her as an 8 week old kitten. Our boy cat chirrups at lot.

During childhood we had a virtually mute cat. He only ever meowed at us if we had returned from holiday, and once he went beserk meowing at me. When I followed him to see what was wrong he led me to an overflowing bath - I thought that was very clever!

BulletFox Sat 04-Nov-17 11:52:03

Thst IS clever smile

Ollivander84 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:56:27

Mine never. Shuts. Up.
I figure he was probably like that as a kitten too. He even screams when he's outside and I get texts saying "your cat is shouting hello again" confusedblush

BulletFox Sat 04-Nov-17 12:00:05

Olli what do the neighbours text you?? That's really funny!

Ollivander84 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:03:53

Yep!
"Your cat keeps shouting hello at me"

BulletFox Sat 04-Nov-17 12:21:20

They obviously like being said hello to!

My cat is well liked in the 'hood, it makes you feel a bit safer about them being out if the neighbours care about them

Ollivander84 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:24:34

Mine is known as the noisy weird one. If I go and ask him what he's shouting at, he looks all guilty and says "ma-ma"

Toddlerteaplease Sat 04-Nov-17 13:59:52

Ollie’s mama video is just adorable. Hint hint!

Ollivander84 Sat 04-Nov-17 14:58:16

Ma-ma? https://www.facebook.com/olliebobcpl/videos/1552344601476537/ grin

MaudesMum Sat 04-Nov-17 16:59:42

Well, if they do learn from other cats, its not going to end well as the grown-up cat of the household is using an awful lot of bad language at the moment - mainly due to the kitten's presence!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now