Talk

Advanced search

Cat pooing on carpet

(8 Posts)
Lilymoose Fri 03-Nov-17 07:19:35

Hello cat lovers. I have 2 female cats, one is 1 and a half and one is about 6 months. The kitten was rescued as she was living in the bushes nearby and our cat was playing with her when she went out which led us to finding her.

In the last few weeks the older cat has been pooing by the front door on the carpet. She has also been clawing at the carpet and has pulled it up. I know it's her as there is sometimes grass in the poo and she's the only one who goes outside.

I think it's possibly due to stress from the new cat although we have had her 3 months now and this problem has just started. Both cats dewormed. I've tried different litters, we have 2 litter trays in different places, each with a different type of litter. She wees in both trays. I empty the poo out at least once a day and clean out at least once every 5 days.

I've tried putting a litter tray where she poos on the carpet but she just pooed next to it!!

Does anyone have any advice? My next move is to put some tin foil down to try and put her off.

thecatneuterer Fri 03-Nov-17 23:27:26

Have you tried wood pellet litter and clean it every day? Some cats just really like a clean tray.

Other than that, tin foil is worth a try as you say. Or you could just give up and put puppy training pads down where she's doing it to make it easier to deal with.

Are both spayed? (I doubt the question is relevant but I always ask anywaysmile)

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Nov-17 23:28:41

Always worth a vet check.
Would feliway be worth a try?

Lilymoose Sat 04-Nov-17 18:48:48

Thank you for the suggestions. We use wood chip in one of the trays and I clean the poo out at least once a day but I usually replace the whole litter every 5 days or so or when I feel it needs. Maybe I'll do that more often.

I've put the tin foil down but both of them have been going there anyway, been using a spray bottle to deter them and I feel mean. She's not done it since yesterday though. Carpet poo cat is spayed but kitten isn't. If spray and cleaner trays doesn't work will take her to the vet!

Rudgie47 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:25:58

Hi Lily, I had a tom who used to poo on the doormat and I stopped it by having 2 trays which you have got and cleaning the trays all the time. Even if he had done just a wee he didnt like using the tray again even with the wood pellet litter. I'd take the poos and wet bits from the wee out as soon as shes been on it if I were you.
I'd also get another tray so you have 3, the vet said to me you need one per cat and one extra.
Like thecatneuterer said some cats like a really clean tray.

Lilymoose Mon 06-Nov-17 22:10:23

Thanks Rudgie, that's good advice with the extra tray. I think she is very fussy about cleanliness actually, she's not pooed on the carpet since I posted originally so I think the extra diligence is paying off. Will get another tray as well!

StatueInTheSky Mon 06-Nov-17 22:22:03

one of mine hates that wood litter, she will pee in the handbasin as a protest.

She only likes non clumping gravelly litter and will only use a fresh tray.

In the winter I tend to stack a couple of trays in each location, then you can lift one and put it out and there's a fresh one underneath. Plus...if you have a "pees over the edge type" if you sit a smaller tray inside a bigger tray it saves your flooring.

I also clean the trays with an old kitchen brush and WUL or occasionally laundry liquid...anything else cleaning based can leave a taint that MsFussyPants disapproves of.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 06-Nov-17 22:26:27

I have two trays just for one cat - he will poo in one and wee in the other.... Never the twain shall meet! 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now