Talk

Advanced search

Cat weeing in bathroom -help!!

(16 Posts)
Jenda Wed 01-Nov-17 21:25:03

I have a lovely little kitten who is 7 months old. She has always been a bit tricky with weeing, for example if I ever picked up her litter tray to clean it she would immediately wee on the floor in its place. And if it was a tiny bit away from the wall she would squeeze down and go in the gap even though her litter trays were clean. We gradually phased the trays out now she goes outside and she is a very confident and happy little thing. However, she will not stop weeing in the bathroom!! It's not the smell because we have new floor, and we are cleaning it vigorously when she uses it. I would put a tray back upstairs if I thought it would help, but she poos outside with no problem, and wees at other times outside too. It's almost like she just does it when she can get a chance to sneak in! Any ideas? She is outside a lot so really don't think it's a fear thing. Could it be that she's not old enough to know she needs to go until she REALLY NEEDS TO GO?!

Phantomoutforthechill Wed 01-Nov-17 21:27:31

May be make sure the bathroom door is shut? Unless she is doing it when you are in there too.

Jenda Wed 01-Nov-17 21:32:35

We are, put it is a rubbish door and can be opened easily. She'll quite happily come in and do it when I'm on the loo! I'd also rather she goes in the bathroom rather than anywhere else if she is going upstairs, but I'd just like her to go outside smile

Jenda Wed 01-Nov-17 21:38:31

She's really cute though

Acrosstheuniverse123 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:41:50

I think she can smell that this is where the humans go to eliminate. My cat would use the bathroom floor when absolutely desperate if he couldn't get outside. He was a very clean cat, but we once left him shut in the house for a few days by mistake and he used the bathroom floor. This happened very occasionally if he couldn't get out. Try using a different floor cleaner and keep the door shut. If you catch her in the act, tell her 'no' firmly and put her outside.

counterpoint Wed 01-Nov-17 21:52:43

We had a cat that often used the bathroom, sometimes the shower tray, sometimes jumped into the bath and occasionally on the floorboards surrounding either. Always easy to clean up and, agree with you, it's preferable they go there than anywhere else.

Never managed to make her change this habit in all her 13 years. And I wish she was still around to continue this 'annoying' habit, but sadly - no more!

Your cat is so cute. Enjoy and remember our houses are not much more than caves.

StatueInTheSky Wed 01-Nov-17 21:59:01

one of mine liked to come in and do a sympathy wee if anyone was in the bathroom

I'd put a tray in the bathroom, in the showertray tbh, and then it's there. Maybe she would rather pee inside, especially if she is young...maybe there are other cats around and she feels a bit insecure performing in the garden?

Aside from that most bathroom cleaners are ammonia based so she'll be drawn to that like a pizzley cat to a pizzley corner!

dailydance Wed 01-Nov-17 23:31:08

Diluted Milton will get rid of the smell for the cat. One of mine wees in the bathroom if I don’t open the door quickly enough (god forbid she uses the cat flap). It’s preferable to rooms with carpet. I’m quite sure she has sprayed in my bedroom this eve and I can’t blooming find it sad. I will Be sterilising the bedroom floor & furniture tomorrow.. can’t wait

dailydance Wed 01-Nov-17 23:31:56

*open the back door quickly enough (I don’t lick her in the bathroom)

dailydance Wed 01-Nov-17 23:32:24

*LOCK not lick

SilverSpot Thu 02-Nov-17 07:40:00

I think I would just have a litter tray in there. No harm having a litter tray is there?

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 02-Nov-17 22:19:25

My cat wees in the bath given half a chance - we put a second litter tray in there but she totally ignored it, so we eventually removed it. She’s not used her other tray in months and just seems to prefer going outside. (V annoying at 6.30am this morning when it was freezing, but she’s the boss.)

TheNotSoGoodWife Thu 02-Nov-17 22:21:46

One of mine likes to wee in the bath or kitchen sink. I haven’t really made any effort to stop her as it’s easy to clean up blush.

TheNotSoGoodWife Thu 02-Nov-17 22:23:18

And yes, your kitten is gorgeous!

Jenda Fri 03-Nov-17 11:34:56

No harm in having a litter tray no, but suspect she would ignore! Might try and train her to go in the bath, she used to. That would be much more convenient! And thanks, she is gorgeous! She knows it though grin

Jenda Fri 03-Nov-17 11:35:54

Thanks for ideas. Will try the Milton and will not lick the cat flap grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: