Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Poor little mouse

(6 Posts)
hemel07 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:56:09

Our 6month old kitten has just brought in a live mouse. Dh managed to get them both outside and we now have the kitten back in minus the poor little mouse. I know this is completely normal behaviour, but is there anything we can do to deter him? Is it really frowned upon to put collars on kittens?

Thekitten Thu 02-Nov-17 16:08:35

Well done getting the kitten out with the mouse. That's my strategy when nine brings them in, if I'm in. If not then I have to catch them myself XD

Haven't managed to deter her from doing it yet, but I've noticed she's more likely to find them at dusk (although she's found three during the day in the last two weeks, so I think it's peak mouse at the moment) so I restrict her going out from dusk onwards by putting the catflap on night mode. Unfortunately if she's still out then by the time it locks, she can still come in with a mousey guest.
But otherwise, I set the cat flap on out only after dusk and check her each time she wants to come back in. It means a lot of getting up and down but seems to reduce the number.
What I have done is become a lot more relaxed about it. I hate the thought of having a mouse in the house, but after having one for three weeks a couple of years ago, it occurred to me that it's not the worst thing, and the cat found it in the end. It was a bit skinny though - mouse, not cat!

I've become quite the mouser myself too hmm

hemel07 Fri 03-Nov-17 18:37:31

He's lucky he's not been grounded for life! Do mouse hibernate over the winter at all? I'm guessing there may be less around at this time of year? He is in overnight at the moment so at least I know I'm not going to come down to any little surprises in the morning...

Barch1 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:51:57

I have 2 cats and one is a prolific mouse catcher! He brings them in ( dead and alive) randomly. I tend to chase him out of the house and he gets the message but it is their way of getting your praise! It is a present for Mum! He may grow out of it in time. Mine has even brought baby bunnies thru' the cat flap!
I keep mine in from about 5 at night until 7 in the morning so mouse free at night. It is part of their natural makeup so try not to worry to much about it and try to get used to it and accept it.

hemel07 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:13:56

I can probably cope with mice, but absolutely draw the line at a bunny!!!! Today he has brought in a black feather and a couple of leaves. That, I can live with!

Oops4 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:36:59

Keeping him in at dusk and dawn will help and there should be less about during the winter. My cat used to bring us presents all the time but hasnt for a good couple of years now. I naively thought she had stopped catching things but then caught her merrily chomping on a mouse outside. I think shes obviously just decided it's best not to bring them in. Other than mice she has also brought us a frog and a mole but the worst is when the baby birds appear. She l used to love bringing in leaves too, we once come home to a living room carpet literally covered in shredded leaves, she must have been having a wee party to herself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now