Talk

Advanced search

Adult adoptee cat and small children

(10 Posts)
AngryPuffin Tue 31-Oct-17 07:37:24

We have been wanting to adopt a cat for some time. We also have a small baby, but both off work so still have the time and energy to devote to a new cat.

Our preference is for adoption of an adult cat, but every adult cat with cat's protection is 'no children'. This is across the board, no just those with a history of being stressed a small people.

Has anyone been screened by cat's protection and rejected because of DC in house?

Battyoldbat Tue 31-Oct-17 07:42:16

We adopted an adult cat from CP with three children in the house. I do agree they are few and far between though, it took a good 6 months of searching to find her.
I understand why they are so strict because they obviously don’t want adoptions to fail but it is frustrating!

Allergictoironing Tue 31-Oct-17 07:51:51

There may be a suitable cat at a different rescue in your area? I know CP are fantastic but there are others out there who do a brilliant job too. If you are in North East London/Essex have a word with TheCatNeuterer, who works with Celia Hammond.

Vinorosso74 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:52:38

The children thing in the website has to be filled yes or no. Some cats they know nothing about so no ends up being the default which the staff admit isn't great for people searching for cats. There are defintely adult cats who are ok with children.
The centre I'm at are trialling family volunteers where parent and child(ren) go in and see how the cats are with children to help work out more about the cats.
I would call your local one to discuss and see what they say.

Monkeypuzzle32 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:57:08

We've just short term fostered an adult cat, I'm 32weeks pregnant so didn't want to commit but as cats do he's settled in nicely and looks like he's going to stay! Anyway my point is there are smaller cat rescues who assess every cat on their needs, this one was deemed ok with dogs and slightly older children based on what the ex owner said but I think he'd be ok with any combo-the lady from our cat rescue said to start playing low level baby crying noises to him now, gradually increasing the loudness and frequency then rubbing a cloth over the cats face before rubbing it on the legs of the crib so it smells familiar-The cat charity I used in based in Essex but does have contacts elsewhere if that's any help?

qazxc Tue 31-Oct-17 08:03:35

Another here that fostered before adopting.
Talk to the charities direct as they might know more about the temperament of individual cats and be able to point you in the right direction. Generally they will be hugely accommodating because most people want cute kittens.

AngryPuffin Tue 31-Oct-17 08:23:46

Thanks all. Vino, I wondered if that was the issue. Our local branch seem desperate for homes with garden, which we have, but no children seems to be ticked by default. I'll get in touch with them to see what they think about our specific circumstances

ILoveDolly Tue 31-Oct-17 22:28:49

We are currently in the process of taking on cats from CP and have three dc. I'd contact your local branch directly as adult cats who've previously lived happily with children do crop up.

Sholiz74 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:54:06

I am very anti Cats Protection but have recently adopted from the RSPCA. There were many adult cats that could be adopted with 0+ children, perhaps worth looking at other rescues?

milkchocolatx5 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:59:08

we adopted from the RSPCA with 2 young children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now