Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat about to have her eye removed

(6 Posts)
SukiTheDog Mon 30-Oct-17 20:07:16

My 9 yr old girl had a scratch on her eye a week ago. Took her to the vet who commenced antibiotic cream for the eye and anti inflammatory food supplement. It started to look better but having finished the treatment 8 days on....it’s a mess.

Took her back to the vets tonight. They’ve kept her in to do an exploratory examination under anaesthetic in the morning. The vet said she expects to need to remove the eye but will call me in the morning.

My cat is very outdoorsy. It’s been difficult getting the drops in as she’s not one for being held. I’ve been reading and it suggests keeping a one eyed cat as an indoor pet only. Can anyone comment on this? She’ll not be happy. As I say, she o lay really comes home for food.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:57:45

Bumping for you.

I hope the eye can be saved.

zippydoodaar Mon 30-Oct-17 21:12:52

I'd let her out once she's recovered and see how she gets on. Animals are very adaptable. I can't see why she shouldn't go out. It's not as if she cannot see at all.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Mon 30-Oct-17 21:34:49

An old cat of mine lost an eye aged about 6 or 7 in a traumatic accident. (Vet thought caught a glancing blow by a car or possibly kicked..) He fully recovered very quickly and it genuinely didn't seem to affect him in the slightest. Carried on being a very happy cat with full access outdoors until he died aged 17.

zippydoodaar Tue 31-Oct-17 07:41:37

Grumpy, what a handsome chap!

Best of luck with the op, Suki.

SukiTheDog Tue 31-Oct-17 08:04:49

Thanks for that. It’s reassuring. Love boy, that one eyed puss 😊

I’d never be able to keep in in all the time as we have this.... and though she wants to make friends with the cat, the cat’s having none of it. Her refuge is next door’s shed where she has her own cushion and blanket 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now