Talk

Advanced search

Are fleas super-resistant to flea treatments this year?

(13 Posts)
LadyWire Sun 29-Oct-17 19:52:27

Just that really! We've had a terrible time the last few months, with the bigger one being left with a threadbare back end atm. I've had a terrible time getting rid of them and I've been eaten alive too.

AdiosPieceOfToast Sun 29-Oct-17 19:53:49

We’ve had the same problem for the first time this year. Even after switching to advocate - nightmare.

Wolfiefan Sun 29-Oct-17 19:54:06

I think too many people are buying OTC and ineffective stuff. Some vets are still selling Frontline too.
What are you using?

emwithme Sun 29-Oct-17 19:56:22

We're having an absolute nightmare with the little bastards this year. Using prinovox from the vet. Got their jabs Tuesday so will ask what the nuclear option is.

StillMedusa Sun 29-Oct-17 19:56:27

Same problem here... first timei n 14 years we have fleas. I have been bitten horribly . Treated eveyone...still live fleas on them! Tomorrow I am off to the vets for the strongest flea treatments and house treatments they can sell me sad

Santawontbelong Sun 29-Oct-17 19:56:35

On top of prescription stuff (not frontline) we put shallow bowls of hot Fairy water down regularly and caught loads! They love a nice warm bath!!
We also bathed the dogs every other day!!
Bought a nit comb and enlisted the dc to see who could catch the most!!
Been a proper family event this year!

LadyWire Sun 29-Oct-17 19:59:24

Frontline on the cats and indorex round the house. I remember when a flea collar was all it took!

Wolfiefan Sun 29-Oct-17 19:59:57

Frontline is useless. That's the issue!

Bananarama12 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:01:21

Use advantage/advocate and use it regularly for at least 3 months to kill the flea cycle. You can also use acclaim/indorex for the house. Hoover lots and empty outside in the bin every time. Hoovering helps the acclaim/indorex spray work as the vibrations hatch the larvae in the carpet and then spray the adult flea.

Advantage and the sprays are much cheaper online than from the vets.

Hope this helps.

Bananarama12 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:17:41

**kill the adult flea...not spray

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:03:18

We found frontline didn't work and our carpets were hopping! And yet pets at home were really funny about selling us anything else. After I finally went back and pretty much demanded advocate, the fleas were gone within 3 days.

BeansOnToastWithCheese Sun 29-Oct-17 21:19:56

I've had a terrible time with fleas and BeansDog recently. I was using Bob Martin religiously but it had zero effect. With the benefit of hindsight I should have done some research before using the first flea treatment I found in Waitrose...

Now I'm using Frontline Plus and Indorex and it does seem to have done the trick - lots of people are saying Frontline doesn't work anymore so either I got very lucky or Frontline Plus is a different product to regular Frontline?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 29-Oct-17 22:36:09

This time of year Is always the worst time. Prevention is always the best way mark your calendar and treat like a religion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now