Talk

Advanced search

Haven't seen my new cat since Friday

(5 Posts)
susan198130 Sun 29-Oct-17 08:34:12

We have a new cat (which I took in from my brother as she wasn't getting on with his dogs - he had her for about 8 years). I already have 2 existing cats that I've had for about 13 years. My new cat and existing cats don't really like each other, but nothing more than the old growl here and there.

We've been letting her go out for the past 6 days. No problems, she was always coming back, although sometimes she'd be out for quite a few hours. Now, the last time I saw her was Friday night. We have a cat flap so she could have been in since, but I don't think she has. We were busy decorating yesterday so I spent most of the day upstairs, so she may have come in but, as I say, I don't think she has. It's now Sunday and no sign of her.

She's about 8 years old. My brother who we got her from lives about a 10 minute walk away. Is it likely that she would've gone back there? I felt like she'd settled her. She was wandering all over the house, coming for cuddles and everything. Should I be getting worried yet?

susan198130 Sun 29-Oct-17 08:35:16

Just to add, we let her out after we'd had her for 2 weeks. It's nearly 3 weeks since we got her.

Want2beme Sun 29-Oct-17 11:12:08

She's adjusting to a huge change in her life and may have just taken herself off for a little bit. Have you had a look around the neighbourhood and checked in sheds? Have you asked your neighbours? She may have taken refuge from your cats with one of your neighbours. She might be trying to find her old home. I'm not sure how true it is that cats know how to return to their last home, though. I hope she comes back to you soon. They're such a worry when they take themselves off.

susan198130 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:36:33

Yes, checked all that. They are. She seemed to be fine and seemed to have adjusted. I didn't really want to let her out so soon after getting her, but it's so difficult because we have 2 cats who do go out and use the cat flap. So I was having to keep the new cat confined to the living room, but she was desperate to get out.

We had friends over last night until quite late, so the house was quite noisy so I didn't expect her to come in then. I also have 2 young children, also very noisy, so I'm now wondering if she's going to randomly turn up tomorrow when they're back at school. I really hope so. I think if she comes back, I'm going to have to keep her in again for a while. She is microchipped and has a collar with my number on so I'm keeping everything crossed she turns up.

ferrier Sun 29-Oct-17 11:40:57

Ten minutes is nothing. It's quite likely she's gone wandering in her old patch. Maybe back to your brother or perhaps more likely a better place for her.
Tbh in your situation I would have kept her in longer but would also be giving serious consideration to whether yours is the right home for her with all the circumstances.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: