Talk

Advanced search

Said goodbye to our beautiful old girl

(12 Posts)
EtonMessy Fri 27-Oct-17 21:20:03

She was 18 , with us for 14 yrs after coming home with us from a rescue centre when she was four. She was an amazing tortishell called Tiger and she had extra digits on each paw that made her look like she was wearing heals. She was diagnosed with chronic renal failure five years ago and more recently arthritis. On long term medication for her kidneys and two weeks ago started medication for her arthritis. She started vomiting a lot a couple of weeks ago but that calmed down again and her pain looked more under control the first week after starting her medication but last week she seemed to slow down . Vet saw her for a check up on Saturday and said she seemed to be coping with the pain meds’ despite her renal failure but said to bring her straight away if things worsened again. She started vomiting again Sunday evening and Monday the vet gave her anti sickness jab , he said if she continued to vomit it wasn’t a good sign. We also had to halt her pain meds for 24 hrs after having the anti sickness jab. She didn’t eat anything Tuesday and was vomiting after drinking water, we rang the vet and they made appt for her Wednesday morning. Wednesday morning she had eaten a little food but couldn’t seem to stand up properly or hold her tail up and seemed to be resting on her haunches. We thought the way her posture was a bad sign and that she must have been either in a lot of pain or feeling terrible. My husband took her to the vet who after examining her said he felt it was time to say goodbye. Feel heartbroken and the house is so quiet without her, she used to sit with me on the sofa every evening and tap me with paws to be stroked and would shepherd us into the kitchen each morning to be fed. I know 18 is a really good age especially considering her renal failure and we wouldn’t have wanted her to be in pain or feeling unwell all the time but it doesn’t make it any easier does it ? Sat on the sofa now and would love her to be sat next to me tapping me to carry on stroking her .

wtffgs Fri 27-Oct-17 21:32:17

I'm so sorry sad

Every cat makes a huge hole when they leave. It sounds like she had a beautiful life and was loved very much. I spent a lot of time on Pinterest "cat loss" which helped lots. I still miss my old girl every day even though we have a gorgeous, new rescue in our lives. wine

Want2beme Fri 27-Oct-17 21:41:21

So sorry for your sad loss. It's so hard when they go. I felt very sad reading your post but I did smile when you mentioned the way she herded you into the kitchen for breakfast in the morning. It doesn't matter that she was an older lady, she was your little girl and she'll always be with youflowers

Jellybean85 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:41:23

So sorry, as much as we can tell ourselves they had a long happy life it doesn’t make it any easier. flowersflowers

overnightangel Fri 27-Oct-17 21:47:34

My sincerest sympathies.
I know it's not much consolation now but just think of the fact you have her 14 years of happiness she wouldn't have otherwise had. I live alone and first few months coming home without my cat waiting for me was strange but in time I'm sure you will get to thinking how great it was you gave her 14 lovely years and you speak beautifully about her. Sorry and big hugs

EtonMessy Fri 27-Oct-17 21:51:55

Thank you wtffgs, will have a look at cat loss on Pinterest.
She was so good with our young daughter, she seemed to adore her. There’s definitely a big hole in all our hearts. Good to hear you have a beautiful new rescue , I’m sure in time we will too. But like you, we’ll always miss our beautiful old girl .

EtonMessy Fri 27-Oct-17 22:00:25

Thank you , Want2be, jellybean and overnight too. Overnight, you’re right about the 14 yrs she had with us. I’d hate for her to have spent those years in a rescue centre and not with us. We have so many happy memories of our years together.

StilettosAreANoNo Fri 27-Oct-17 22:14:07

I’m so sorry sad She sounds a truly wonderful friend.

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:26:38

It's heartbreaking isn't it. You know you have done the right thing, but it hurts so muchsad

Farontothemaddingcrowd Fri 27-Oct-17 22:30:03

I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful girl flowers

EtonMessy Fri 27-Oct-17 22:32:14

Thank you Stilettos and Weeds too. Just caught myself about to say good night to her in the corner where her bed was. I still said it and hoped she heard me in some way .

EtonMessy Fri 27-Oct-17 22:32:42

Thank you Far.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: