Talk

Advanced search

How to stop neighbour feeding my cat?

(9 Posts)
ooerrmissus Thu 26-Oct-17 15:54:58

Got three cats- one a good size, one a bit chunky and one a complete barrel. Barrel keeps getting fatter and fatter. I suspected one of the neighbours was feeding him and last week my next door neighbour text me to say she was round the corner at another house, my cat was meowing at their patio doors, so chap stood up and let him in. Barrel wandered straight in to their kitchen and started eating their cats food. Apparently this is a regular thing.
Problem is he's fucking obese, it should be obvious he doesn't need feeding, he's groomed, chipped, got 'please don't feed' collar on (which in fairness is hard to see as he's so fluffy), they must be thick as shit to be feeding him.
Anyway Chunky cat has been to the vets for his jabs and vet says he's overweight and needs to lose weight, he's in danger of becoming diabetic. So if he's on a diet I really do need to do something about Barrel.
So I'm thinking of posting flyers to the houses round about, I'll do all of them in the hope Mr Thickasshit gets an earful from his neighbours if they spot him feeding my cat. This is what I've written so far:

Dear Neighbours,
As you may already be aware, we have three delightful and friendly cats. However they are also very greedy and we have reason to believe they are being fed outside the home as well as in.
Unfortunately this is causing them to be sick and they have put on a lot of weight. The vet has diagnosed two of the cats as pre-diabetic. They are on a special diet and this is strictly controlled.
If you have been feeding a cat which is not yours, please, please stop. However well-meaning this is, you are making them potentially seriously ill.
Many thanks for your understanding,
Ooermissus (house number)

What do you think? Trying not to sound too stroppy as don't want to run the risk of them just kidnapping Barrel.

FuzzyOwl Thu 26-Oct-17 15:58:06

I have cats and appreciate the annoyance that this causes, as well as the potential health conditions. However, I think that you could make the leaflet sound a lot nicer especially since you want your neighbours to comply.

ooerrmissus Thu 26-Oct-17 15:59:30

Give us a clue then, that's my best effort!

steppemum Thu 26-Oct-17 15:59:49

make it much shorter, less waffley and more to the point.

put a photo of him on it and put something like.
Dear neighbours
This is our cat, he is dangerously obese, and the vet has put him on special food. He is in danger of becoming diabetic.
PLEASE DO NOT FEED HIM ANYTHING.
PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO COME IN AND EAT YOUR CAT'S FOOD.

Thank you for your help. I am sure you understand this is for his health.
Mrs...

I wouldn;'t worry about him being kidnapped, it sounds as if they are just amused at him coming and eating their cat's food.

ooerrmissus Thu 26-Oct-17 16:04:08

fab thanks I like that much better than my effort!

Catzpyjamas Thu 26-Oct-17 16:06:30

I'd go with something more like steppemum's suggestion. You could print off something like the PDF on this site to educate your neighbour too!

Ttbb Thu 26-Oct-17 16:45:51

Maybe something more along the lines of:
Dear neighbour,
You may know our cats, many of you have been wonderfully friendly towards them. Thank you all for being so kind. Unfortunately two of our cars are sick and have been put on special diets by the vet. If our cats come begging for food please don't give them any as it could make them worse.
Your ever greatful neighbour.

ooerrmissus Thu 26-Oct-17 19:12:54

That’s great thanks Tibb, I wanted something clear but polite, and couldn’t manage it somehow grin

Santawontbelong Thu 26-Oct-17 19:15:42

Hey cf neighbour, stop trying to steal my dcat.
Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now