Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of the smell of cat wee.

(14 Posts)
snowglobe67 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:32:59

Hi! Hope you can help. I am the proud owner of a lovely but incontinent moggy. I can cope with the constant clearing up but the smell of cat wee never goes. I'm getting to the point where I'm embarrassed to invite people into the house. To add insult to injury, he favours a spot where I often sit to work and eat. Please can you offer me any solutions for getting rid of the smell?
I've tried several from Pets at home and vinegar which is supposed to be good, but nothing helps????

SilverSpot Thu 26-Oct-17 12:27:23

Enzyme cleaner?

Rudgie47 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:01:05

Dettol, the brown one, I think its about £2.70 or £2.90 from Wilkinsons, this is the best I have found.

freshstart24 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:03:37

A different approach- get some old covers, fleeces etc., leave in his chosen spot, wash frequently.

Is he just weeing wherever he happens to be at the time and unable to make the effort to use a litter tray?

snowglobe67 Thu 26-Oct-17 15:57:17

Thanks, will try dettol, I love the smell anyway smile

He's never been litter trained despite massive efforts on my part. He had a very bad early cat hood and seems incapable of grasping that litter trays are a necessity rather than an interesting option.

His first choice of toilet would be a bed, so he's never allowed upstairs unsupervised.

Ttbb Thu 26-Oct-17 15:58:47

Burn the house down. Or maybe just replace carpets for vinyl/hardwood

Fragglewump Thu 26-Oct-17 16:03:19

The only thing I found that helped was dettox spray can - at least after using everything I could find when my dog weed in my car - this worked!

snowglobe67 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:09:09

Ttbgrin
We have laminate floors and leather sofa downstairs which does help. Still smells though!! Aarge!

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 26-Oct-17 16:12:49

You need to be very careful with Dettol as it's pretty toxic to cats.

I'd use a proper, pet safe enzymatic cleaner. Simple Solution Urine Destroyer is brilliant stuff.

Pancakeflipper Thu 26-Oct-17 16:16:20

I clean area with biological laundry liquid then spray with diluted surgical spirit/water when our cat decides to have a moment of weeing in the house (he gets stressed bless him).

shhhfastasleep Thu 26-Oct-17 18:20:34

Get several litter trays for the different places he tends to go. Seriously. He might start to use one in a preferred if inconvenient place. It’s a start and it’s better than wee/poo on the floor.
Please ensure you completely dry any dettol you use before his highness goes near it. As pp said, it’s toxic to cats.

snowglobe67 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:00:27

Fast asleep, been there done that I'm afraid. We had 8 at one point, gradually whittled down to 2 and he did learn to use them but has only ever seen them as optional rather than essential. That's the bit I can't get through to him!!

Plus preferred places are all sofas and beds and I don't really fancy having cat litter all over my sofas and beds (although admittedly probably better than what we currently have)

He's at his best when he can spend long periods outside but obviously at this time of year we have to limit it quite a lot.

snowglobe67 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:01:31

Cornflake I'm googling that cleaner now, thanks!!

pterobore Thu 26-Oct-17 19:57:45

Bio laundry powder mixed with water. Wear gloves as it'll irritate your hands. Scrub the area and clean with water. Only thing I've ever find that gets rid off the smell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now