Talk

Advanced search

Liver shunt in kitten

(10 Posts)
SophieJo Thu 26-Oct-17 09:26:18

My 6 month old kitten had a seizure last night and the vets kept her in overnight. Rang this morning and it seems they think she has liver shunt and the prognosis is not good. She has always been tiny but eats loads. She was lethargic when we got her though and I posted before but she got over it and is so cuddly and loving. Just wondering if anyone else had had to deal with this in their kitten.

Scabbersley Thu 26-Oct-17 09:28:09

Yes and the outcome was not good I'm afraid sad we struggled on for a few months with a special diet but in the end the seizures were just too awful for him. I'm sorry it's a very sad thing to deal with. Hopefully there will be someone else along with a more positive story.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 26-Oct-17 11:34:53

Are you insured? If you are request referral to a centre with a surgeon experience with shunts with enough money and the right surgeon this can be successfully fixed and the vet go on and have a long life.
With medical management the prognosis is pretty poor I am afraid.

Scabbersley Thu 26-Oct-17 12:45:12

"If you are request referral to a centre with a surgeon experience with shunts with enough money and the right surgeon this can be successfully fixed and the vet go on and have a long life."

We were insured. Out vet said the operation also had a very poor prognosis.

retirednow Thu 26-Oct-17 16:32:38

Poor little soul. Do you know what is wrong with her and why her liver is not working properly?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 26-Oct-17 18:11:46

Scabbers in the right hands the surgery has really good long term success rate the key is the right hands. There are only a few surgeons I would choose.

SophieJo Fri 27-Oct-17 11:31:50

Thank you for all your support. We were due to fly home from holiday when we got a phone call from the hospital where she had been taken to due to seizures. They were unable to stabilise her and yes I have insurance and was prepared to go for surgery but apparently she was too ill to go for it. So had to authorise them to let her go.
Looking back the signs were there, excessive drooling, copper coloured eyes, tiny and sometimes lethargic. Am very sad but know it was the right decision. RIP Misty

retirednow Fri 27-Oct-17 11:35:06

What a beautiful kitten, so sorry for your sad loss, RIP Misty xxxxx

Scabbersley Fri 27-Oct-17 11:48:59

Aw. She looked very sweet. RIP misty x

Miefilante1980 Fri 27-Oct-17 11:51:49

Rip misty 😢

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now