Talk

Advanced search

How do I explain cat being PTS to a toddler

(10 Posts)
tootsieglitterballs Wed 25-Oct-17 18:29:52

Help please.

I’m an absolute mess, the phone call to the vets to book her in was the worst thing I’ve had to do in a long time.

My beautiful girl is being PTS on Friday. She has been going down hill with various issues, and I’ve known it was coming, but now it’s actually happening, and I’m distraught. She’s 16 1/2 , and still looks like a kitten. She’s the most loved and beautiful cat.

How on earth do I tell our almost 3 year old son?? He adores her.

She’s currently on my knee, purring to her hearts content while I’m streaming with tears, feeling like the worst person for doing this.

qazxc Wed 25-Oct-17 19:14:15

So sorry, this just happened in our house and I know how horrid it was.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/3042126-advice-on-explaining-cat-being-pts-to-3-year-old-DD

SpinnerDryer Wed 25-Oct-17 19:25:54

Im sorry its happening.

I have told my DD that one day our cat will have to go back to her kittens to look after them as she is only on holiday with us for a break.

Im hoping it wont be for years yet, but its so hard when you lose a beautiful pet sad

Oops4 Wed 25-Oct-17 22:27:03

So sorry OP. I would just be as straight as you can about it. At that age they are quite matter of fact about it. Avoid saying anything about going to sleep or anything that your little one might link to something they do as that might frighten them. I probably wouldn't tell him in advance, but maybe mention that she's not feeling well then after it's done, just say she was very old and the vet couldn't make her better so she died, he won't be able to see her anymore but wasn't she such a lovely cat. I know it seems very blunt but that's been the best way in my experience

Big hugs x

FunGirlThree Wed 25-Oct-17 22:31:49

Sorry to hear it OP. flowers There is a Mog the cat book (about her dying) which I think is very helpful about explaining death to young children, you could try reading it together.

NoSquirrels Wed 25-Oct-17 22:36:16

Definitely get Goodbye Mog.

Sorry OP. It sucks, but you're undoubtedly doing the right thing for your adored cat. flowersflowers

Our DC loved our old boy and talk about him still.

tootsieglitterballs Thu 26-Oct-17 08:33:19

Thank you so much everyone, for your kind words and advice.

I spent most of the evening in tears, hence my late reply to you all.

I think you are right about being honest (thank you for the link to the other thread) and I’m going to get the mog book if I can get hold of it in time.

I’m truly devastated , but I know it’s for the best. Second baby is also due in 4 weeks, so our poor son is going to go through some huge changes at home , poor thing.

troodiedoo Thu 26-Oct-17 16:55:35

I had my darling boy pts yesterday and feel your pain. Dd1 is 17 and heartbroken. Dd2 is 7 months and they were just becoming pals 😢

Agree honesty is best. My vet took paw prints for us and clipped some fur. I will put them with a nice photo. (Can't afford individual cremation much as I'd like it)

Blue cross pet bereavement have been very helpful in the past, they have phone and email support

flowers

qazxc Fri 27-Oct-17 07:43:03

Thinking of you today. flowers

tootsieglitterballs Fri 27-Oct-17 08:19:34

Thank you @qazxc . I’m dreading it. Luckily not happening until the end of the day, so we still have today. She’s had lots of treats, snuggles etc.
I’m hoping I can keep it together today a bit better - I’ve cried an awful lot of tears so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now