Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat & dental operation

(22 Posts)
CherryLips1980 Wed 25-Oct-17 10:45:54

Only dropped DCat off an hour ago and already waiting anxiously for an update on him. I know he needs at least one tooth out, but apparently he has quite bad gingivitis (😭) so could well be more. He’s already missing one fang from a previous cat fight.

Don’t know how old he is either, he was a cat who had been placed in a cattery by social services and when his owner was put in care and he’d been in the cattery for nearly a year when we got him, 3 years ago. I hope he’s ok. He’s a superstar cat. 😻

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 25-Oct-17 10:51:22

I hope he's OK - I'm sure he will be. DCat here had a dental about 18 months ago. They did him last though because dentals are "dirty" compared to other ops so you might have a while to wait.

When mine came home he was a bit wobbly on his back legs and fell over trying to run away from me (probably in case I was trying to put him back in his box) which was a bit upsetting. He was right as rain shortly afterwards though and recovered his appetite in no time.

CherryLips1980 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:11:53

Ah, that’s good to know, Tranquillity, thank you - it hadn’t occurred to me that he may be one of the later ops. 😳

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Oct-17 12:57:15

Both of mine are having dentals in a couple of weeks. Just realised that booking them in on the same day probably isn’t a good idea as they are identical!

CherryLips1980 Wed 25-Oct-17 13:27:51

They’ve just rung! He’s ok 😻 Turned out the tooth he went in to have removed had fallen out anyway (😳 I hadn’t noticed) so they’ve cleaned the cavity and scaled and polished the rest - no extra teeth out!

Phew.

Vitalogy Wed 25-Oct-17 13:36:10

Ah, that's good news.
Our cat had to have all of his teeth out apart from the teeny tiny teeth at the front and one fang. After about a week he was back eating normally, even his biscuit! So in the future if your boy is back in for more out, nothing to worry about.

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 25-Oct-17 15:34:38

That's good news. I'm pleased he's OK.

Wolfiefan Wed 25-Oct-17 15:38:01

Great news. Old girl was a cat of very few teeth by the end. Didn't bother her at all. And yes. We also had a tooth fall out once. Eek!

cherrycola2004 Wed 25-Oct-17 15:40:18

That’s good news.
Was about to say my old girl went in yesterday and had 9 teeth out and she’s fine xx

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Oct-17 16:29:51

Just out if interest. How much are people paying for a dental. I’ve been estimated £122 for scale and polish and up to 4 extractions I think. Including IV fluids and pre op bloods.

Vitalogy Wed 25-Oct-17 16:38:19

That sounds about right Toddler

CherryLips1980 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:32:01

Our cats bill was £128 which I didn’t think was bad.

He’s gone out. I hope he’ll be ok. Was wanting to keep him in tonight but he shot out when the dog came in. Didn’t know he could move so fast 😱

vjg13 Wed 25-Oct-17 22:16:43

My cat goes for his dental tomorrow. Currently in a mood as he is starving and wants to go out and find food somewhere. He is finding eating painful so hoping there will be an improvement. He is 12 and they quoted £150-£200 without pre op bloods shock.

cherrycola2004 Wed 25-Oct-17 23:26:59

I paid £307 yesterday. Scale and Polish, 9 teeth out and fluids. I didn’t go for pre op bloods as would have been another £50 the price also included painkillers to take home and a long acting anti biotic. sad

Vitalogy Thu 26-Oct-17 02:55:19

Maybe it depends what part of the country people are in, over £300 seems high though. I'm in the Midlands.

cherrycola2004 Thu 26-Oct-17 06:47:32

I’m Coventry West Midlands i think might have raised prices I have never paid over £200 in the past. They nearly had to pick me up off the floor!

Luckily my cat is doing well and much better so money well spent but still!

vjg13 Thu 26-Oct-17 06:55:51

I refused the pre op bloods too and that was £55. He had the antibiotic injection and a pain killer one yesterday at his check up.

How old is your cat Cherrycola?

Vitalogy Thu 26-Oct-17 07:01:18

I'm in Coventry too smile

Vitalogy Thu 26-Oct-17 07:05:25

Cats op was a couple of years ago I'd say though. So I'll brace myself if anymore treatment is needed.

cherrycola2004 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:21:50

@vjg13
she's 10.
looking at the bill it seems she was given 2 lots of numbing injections and also the operation lasted over 30 mins so had to pay a further £33 for more sedation. it all adds up!

@vitalogy this was broad lane vets. next cat that needs a dental i'll try anothersmile

Vitalogy Thu 26-Oct-17 15:02:12

Yeah, worth checking somewhere else for sure. We use Bell and Partners, Norton Hill Drive, Wyken. Other side of the city to you though.

vjg13 Thu 26-Oct-17 17:28:48

Total bill £253! includes yesterday's pain killer and antibiotic injection and small bottle of Loxicom. 5 teeth out but he seems happy enough and has managed a light dinner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now