Talk

Advanced search

Yep, they're pissed.

(43 Posts)
McBounty Tue 24-Oct-17 23:38:18

My two little kitties (4mo old female and male) are due in for their spay/neutering tomorrow. With that comes nil by mouth doesn't it?

They're pissed already. It's only been an hour and a half! Come on now!

I am getting the sad eyes and refusals to let me pet them. I am also getting the odd pat on the shoulder by my little lady, reminding me that it's time for dinner.

On a serious note though, did anyone feel nervous the night before their spay & neutering? Heeeelp.

Want2beme Tue 24-Oct-17 23:56:34

I've always felt guilty beforehand. Not only because of the procedure but the nil by mouth thing as well. How can you explain to them why no food tonight? It's heartbreaking. Are they going in first thing tomorrow? Keep strong and don't engage - easier said.

McBounty Wed 25-Oct-17 00:25:26

I think I feel guilty mostly because of the nil by mouth thing. Poor babies.

Yes, 9am they will be going in. I can imagine there's going to be a fair bit of crying in between now and then though.

littlewoollypervert Wed 25-Oct-17 00:29:11

My 2 were done on Oct 6th. Once they realised food wasn't forthcoming they calmed down a lot - I was surprised how quickly they adapted. They had stitches out a week ago and have spent tonight dunno g round and making me laugh.

littlewoollypervert Wed 25-Oct-17 00:29:39

Dunno g = running!

thecatneuterer Wed 25-Oct-17 00:33:17

You can give them something right now if you want. As long as you take away anything uneaten by 2am ish that will be fine.

DanHumphreyIsA Wed 25-Oct-17 00:35:27

Mine has had a spay and another op, and for both she sat and slept in the food bowl spot, it was heartbreaking.

VeganIan Wed 25-Oct-17 09:21:36

How often were you tripped up this morning OP?

McBounty Wed 25-Oct-17 10:17:31

VeganIan, a whole bunch of times.

They have gone in now. 😊
We should have them back by mid afternoon. I can't wait to see them.
Our little lady had trouble getting in to her carrier this morning, she is just too clever and knew exactly where she was going.

thecatneuterer Ahhh, noway! I didn't know that. Our vet told us nothing past 10pm but I'd have given them something with your advice after that time (and before 2am) if I had read your message sooner.

We didn't think our Arya would be able to have hers done today as she is under 2kg (not too much, but still under) but our vet was happy to still do it. Thank goodness.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Oct-17 14:54:45

When I read the title I thought the cats had got drunk!

thecatneuterer Wed 25-Oct-17 14:57:52

Me too toddler. I was imagining they had been drinking sherry or somethingsmile They must be American cats smile

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 25-Oct-17 15:02:43

Me too Toddler grin

McBounty Wed 25-Oct-17 15:50:32

Yes, they are. Haha. Apologises.

McBounty Wed 25-Oct-17 17:30:58

Yikes, they have both come home with the cone thing around their heads. They're not at all impressed.

She is throwing herself around the room trying to get it off (that surely can't be good for her incision scar right?) and our boy is trying to pull it off.

We've also split them up for a bit. They're both already trying to engage in play fights. That makes me feel super nervous.

Can anyone tell me whether I should try and cover her cut, or should I leave it?

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Oct-17 17:47:30

fatty has a cone on after her zygoma resection but apparently looked so distraught the nurses took it off! Snorg was so stressed out I took hers off as well. Neither of them ever bothered their wounds.

QuestionableMouse Wed 25-Oct-17 17:49:30

None of my cats have ever worn a cone after spaying. The wounds always healed quickly and well.

reallyanotherone Wed 25-Oct-17 17:52:57

I also thought drunk kitties. Please tell me the o/p is in the us and we aren’t adopting yet another americanism?

None of mine have ever had a cone after neutering.

My dog goes in tomorrow. He’s only 1.6 kg.

McBounty Wed 25-Oct-17 23:14:36

Yes, I'm from the US. I now live in the UK though. 😊

I am feeling incredibly guilty this evening. I've had to separate them both because they're rough playing. I'm obviously worried about out little lady and her incision, so I've put him in another room, but can hear him meowing. I keep going in to give him lots of cuddles, but it just isn't cutting it.

I am so tempted to remove their collars.

thecatneuterer Wed 25-Oct-17 23:22:22

I think I would remove their collars and let them play together. As I said we never put cones on. And the stitches can withstand play.

McBounty Wed 25-Oct-17 23:38:26

thecatneuterer I think I may remove their collars, but do you think it would be okay to perhaps put a sock (cut so that it just covers her incision) so that it prevents her brother, or herself from grooming the wound?

thecatneuterer Wed 25-Oct-17 23:40:37

Well you could if she would tolerate it. But I doubt it's really necessary. Do it if it makes you feel better though.

McBounty Thu 26-Oct-17 00:07:50

I am just sat here, completely on edge. I've taken their cones off, but she has started to lick the incision every now and again. I'm worrying about their play. Since I took their cones off, they're playing beautifully together, but jumping up things, rolling around, running after things - literally like nothing has even happened. The vet told me I had to restrain her play and jumping. It's proving impossible. Aaahhhhhhhhh! I can't bare anything happening to her stitches.

DanHumphreyIsA Thu 26-Oct-17 01:05:58

Try the sock thing, if you’re worried. When when of mine was neutered, the vet had put her in a little body, which melted my heart. I cried laughing, she wasn’t impressed.

It was the cutest thing, but she didn’t like it very much and kept walking backwards trying to wriggle out of it.

All three didnt wear anything ‘protective’ for long, and they were fine.

EachandEveryone Thu 26-Oct-17 01:11:37

Mine never wore collars. I was told by the vet the stitching was internal mainly. However she does do the full front op i know alot of them go in the side now. I wouldnt worry about it. Is she on pain killers? I hare those cones. Im a nurse and have always kept mind nbm from whem i go to bed it seems cruel otherwise as mine never had the procedure until after lunch.

I bet they are back to themselves by now! You never did post any photos!

Toddlerteaplease Thu 26-Oct-17 09:55:26

You could try a baby shirt it babygro!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: