Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going to lose her tonight

(55 Posts)
TrickyTreeLou Tue 24-Oct-17 22:23:32

Took 17ish year old to vets yesterday morning after suddenly taking ill on Saturday. Stopped eating and very lethargic. Vet said needed to go in for bloods. I've come away for a few days, single parent, and much promised trip to seaside for my boy who just started school. So stuck in caravan taking devastating calls from vet, she has declined they think pancreatic tumour, she may have to PTS tonight. My mum will go to vets if that's the case.

Sorry for illiterate rambling my mind is all over the place. I want to be there. She is daisy who looked after me through horrendous marriage break up to the chutney thief. In 7 years she has never been ill, no trouble, no problems.

RJnomore1 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:26:13

Oh no. I remember your break up.

I have never had a cat but can you go back? I don't think you would regret it, but if you don't go I think you might.

flowers

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 24-Oct-17 22:26:24

Oh, Lou sad

What desperately sad news. I’m so sorry to hear it & that you can’t be there. If there’s no way she can hang on until you’re home again, just know that you’re doing the best thing for her & remember all the love you gave each other flowers

UnbornMortificado Tue 24-Oct-17 22:26:30

flowers I'm so sorry, letting them go when the time is right is the last kind thing we do for our pets. Doesn't make it any easier unfortunately.

RJnomore1 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:26:40

(Ps was that five years 😮)

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 22:28:26

I'm so so sorry. Are you far from home? Can mum come and DS sit whilst you whizz to the vet?
If it does have to be tonight and you can't get there your girl will be at peace. I'm so so sorry.

TrickyTreeLou Tue 24-Oct-17 22:32:13

Leaving tomorrow morning I am with my dad who won't drive overnight. They're putting her on feeding tube now, if insulin carries on dropping despite this she may start to fit. If that's the case I have to let her go overnight. Prepared for worse. She was old but well until Saturday, so I am totally unprepared. My little boy wants to know why i'm sad, he has looked forward to this break for weeks. I feel a shit parent and shit cat owner.

MrsMozart Tue 24-Oct-17 22:37:40

I'm so sorry lass.

No thoughts of being a shit anything! The vets will stoke her and if she's that poorly she won't really be conscious of who's there. And your son has a mum who puts his welfare above her own when he needs her, which in these circumstances is just right.

MrsMozart Tue 24-Oct-17 22:41:16

*stroke

Sorry, bad combination of autocorrect and fuzzy brain.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 22:42:59

No. You're a good parent for taking your boy away.
You're a good cat slave for getting her the attention she needs. If she deteriorates then TBH she won't know or care who's there. But she will be out of pain and given the care she needs.
flowers

TrickyTreeLou Tue 24-Oct-17 22:47:56

I know, thank you. She is such a refined reserved cat, so serene and beautiful that the thought of all the tubes and prodding and poking, part of me wishes i'do made the decision yesterday but vet said it was worthwhile giving her 48 hours of intensive treatment to see if it was an infection. Now I feel i'very put her through more suffering than might have been necessary.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 22:58:48

The vet said it was worth a try. They don't say that if there isn't hope. And if you hadn't? You would always have wondered and worried whether you had made the right decision.
She's at the vet. They will ensure she doesn't suffer. They will monitor closely, treat her as soon as she needs any intervention and she will be on the best pain meds ever.
You've done the right thing.

outabout Tue 24-Oct-17 23:17:29

I agree with UnbornM, maybe time to let her go. You will be sad but know she had a good life and was well until the last.

TrickyTreeLou Tue 24-Oct-17 23:47:21

Mum rang time to let her go, she is fading rapidly now and won't make it till the morning. God bless her.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 23:50:00

I'm so so sorry. Run free over the rainbow bridge Trickypuss.
OP you're doing the right thing. It'd be unkind to keep her waiting for you to try and get to the vet. If she's fading she won't know who's there. But she will be at peace. flowers

Want2beme Tue 24-Oct-17 23:52:31

So very sorry this is happening. I hope you manage to get to her. It's a very sad time for you.

TrickyTreeLou Wed 25-Oct-17 00:00:28

Thank you. It all feels surreal. Took her in yesterday and it was 'she needs some bloods we'Lloyd keep you posted' now I'm losing her. Last Friday she was sat with me watching the last leg and eagerly took some bedtime cheese. She was going in the garden nibbling grass, sitting whilst I pegged the washing out, purring for her sheba tuna tins. I'm in shock I think that either she was very unwell and hiding it, or the tumour was growing inside her and suddenly caused critical illness. I love her, she is my cat. Didn't bother with anyone else really, but in the evenings she sits with me through all sorts of shite on the tv, and we put the world to rights.

Wolfiefan Wed 25-Oct-17 00:15:07

Our old boy had stomach cancer. He went from fine to not fine within hours.
Skip this if it is upsetting.
He used to mess in the house so we shut him out in the sunshine whilst we popped out for lunch. He gave us the "disgusted" look. Got killed by a car. He was road savvy. I think it spread. Neighbours saw it. He wasn't aware of the car in any way.
They can deteriorate so suddenly. Your girl had a peaceful and dignified crossing. You have done all you can.
She sounds so special and you will have those memories forever. She was also lucky to have you. flowers

YeahILoveSummer Wed 25-Oct-17 00:17:03

Big hugs she sounds a wonderful cat xx

TrickyTreeLou Wed 25-Oct-17 00:26:05

Thank you wolfie, i'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I lost one years ago, a young cat who i vowed i would never let out at night. During one v hot summer he desperately wanted to go out at night as he slept all day indoors. I let him stay out overnight, thought a temporary thing until it cools down etc. He had been killed on the road within 2 weeks of me making that decision. I felt so guilty and distraught, the what ifs stayed with me for years.

Thinking about her helps. She is so intuitive iyswim. Hated cheating exh from the off, hissed and scratched at him. I almost felt she knew he had a bad soul and was no good for me (and her). I loved her determination. When we got her from cats protection they put a pink collar on her. Within days it was off and sat in the coffee table for weeks as we daren't attempt to put it back on (her brother still wears one, wouldn't occur to him he had options!). She never wore a collar after that. smile she is quiet and reserved but spunky and fiesty.

TrickyTreeLou Wed 25-Oct-17 00:28:46

Dark Side Daisy i call her. smile

2017SoFarSoGood Wed 25-Oct-17 00:35:23

So sorry Tricky. Daisy sounds like a real character - or is that Cat-acter? She did a good job protecting you from that no-gooder, that's for sure.

Losing your wee pal and defender is so very sad. It never quite feels like we get it right, but it does sound like you did this time. Let her run over that bridge. flowers

Wolfiefan Wed 25-Oct-17 01:21:27

She clearly is a good judge of character. Old boy was a special one. We had him and his mum. I only shared the story to show how quickly things can change. And there's nothing you can do sometimes.
Daisy flowers

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Oct-17 01:55:05

Don’t beat yourself up OP, one of mine went from fine to critically ill very quickly. They hide it well. Sounds like she’s had a great life with you.

Hidingtonothing Wed 25-Oct-17 01:58:03

So sorry Tricky sad It's hard on you that it's been so sudden but it sounds like she's been happy and healthy pretty much til the end, much better for her that any suffering has been short lived. Please don't beat yourself up because you couldn't be there tonight, you've put her welfare first by not prolonging any pain for her and I think that matters more than being there flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now