Talk

Advanced search

14 year old Bengal spraying everywhere

(9 Posts)
ScarletSienna Tue 24-Oct-17 13:20:11

We have had our cat for 4 years (adopted as previous family emigrated) and adore her. She’s always been loud and demanding (and a carpet wrecker) but also very clean and utterly affectionate.

Over the last few months, she has started spraying. Initially she did it once every few days but the last few weeks she has stopped using her litter tray entirely. Wooden furniture is getting damaged and obviously the smell is awful.

Nothing has changed.
The vet says there is nothing medical such as infections.
She has always been an indoor cat (from a kitten and we have continued to keep her in when we adopted her).
Her litter tray is as it has always been - clean and fresh.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

thecatneuterer Tue 24-Oct-17 14:46:42

Is she spayed?

Surely it's not spraying as such. You mean she's weeing in odd places?

dementedpixie Tue 24-Oct-17 14:52:25

Females do spray too

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 14:52:39

Older cats can find cat litter spiky on their sensitive paws apparently.
New cats in the area or other disturbances? Try feliway?
More litter trays? Always clean with an enzyme cleaner or they will keep going back.
Any other symptoms?

thecatneuterer Tue 24-Oct-17 15:14:11

Actually yes, I have heard of females spraying now you mention it. I've never come across it though.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 15:36:26

OP says cat doesn't go out and isn't using the litter tray at all so it's not spraying. It's urinating.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 24-Oct-17 17:33:34

What litter have you got? Ours will use ultra clumping because the granules are soft on paws.

Try kiln baked sand, very soft on paws & easy to dig.

ScarletSienna Tue 24-Oct-17 22:35:25

Thanks all. The vet said it was definitely spraying because of how she stands when she does it but whichever it is I’m open to ideas! She oddly used the litter tray today for the first time in ages to urinate (squatting rather than tail up and against the wall/furniture like she does in other places). Maybe she has gone off the litter in there (although she pops in it always) so we will try a new one. What’s stumped us most is that it started out of seemingly nowhere as we hadn’t changed anything and nothing else in her behaviour had changed. It’s all very odd. I forgot to mention in my op that she has been urinating on the kitchen floor which is at least easy to clean up but it’s the spraying she is doing against the furniture that’s been particularly hard work.

I’ll definitely try two litter trays too. Anything! The vet did say that cats are incredibly hard to understand and Bengals are not always straight forward!

ScarletSienna Tue 24-Oct-17 22:37:00

Forgot to say that she is spayed and often mimicks spraying around the house (and her old family said she used to there) but until recently hasn’t actually done so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: