Talk

Advanced search

How do I get my kitten to stay off the counter?

(8 Posts)
TequilaLemonSalt Mon 23-Oct-17 19:38:08

I put away all the food and stuff. But still find it icky. I've been telling her no and putting her down every time I see her do it. But it's not deterring her. Is there really any way to train a--n overlord-- cat? wink

Notreallyarsed Mon 23-Oct-17 19:40:31

Make a spray of peppermint oil and water and lightly spray the counters with it. Not too strong so it bothers the kitten in the same room, but enough that they won’t like the countertop.

lljkk Mon 23-Oct-17 19:43:58

I just keep removing them. Nothing is perfect, but they aren't completely stupid & figure out where they get shooed and spoken firmly to.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Mon 23-Oct-17 19:48:46

Mine know they aren’t allowed up there after a long time of removing them when they did go up. Joe they just go up when we aren’t there and jump down when they hear us coming blush

MrsPandaBear Mon 23-Oct-17 19:59:14

I filled a spray bottle with water and sprayed them with water. I only managed to get them a couple of times before they learned to jump down and run if they saw me, and then shortly after that they stopped entirely.

Liz38 Mon 23-Oct-17 20:01:41

I used to firmly lift down and like ladyPenelope they stopped going up when i was around. Now the remaining cat is 17 and on his last legs and doesn't give a monkeys what we think and is up there all the time. I spend my life disinfecting it.

TheABC Mon 23-Oct-17 20:04:41

We have given and just disinfect the counter before using it. Nothing worked! Not shouting, not smells, not tinfoil, nit even water (strange bugger likes it!). We just shut him out now before starting to cook.

RefuseTheLies Mon 23-Oct-17 20:06:14

Who was it who said if you want to keep your cats off the worktop, don't have cats or a worktop?

Very true in our house at least.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: