Talk

Advanced search

How to look at ShotsCat's bald spot?

(8 Posts)
ShotsFired Mon 23-Oct-17 14:18:44

I have recently noticed a bald patch on ShotsCat's inside back leg. Given its location, I'm not really sure how long it has been there.

This seems to be common, but with several causes, none of which I can readily ascribe to her - no noticeable change in eating, same food as always, no stress or changes in the home, no obvious rash or bites in the area (that I can see from the glimpses I can get as she walks), no change in home or products to cause allergies etc, her other fur is just as shiny as it ever was etc.

Obviously it is something, but ShotsCat is fierce/bites/claws at will, and resolutely refuses to lie in any position where I could even look from a distance, and wrapping her in a towel will obviously cover the bit I need to see! And given that just getting her annual jabs involved her drawing both mine and the vet's blood, before climbing the consulting room walls like a demented tasmanian devil, I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do next.

My only idea is to load her up on Feliway and see if that gets her stoned enough to get a proper look?

Anyone had a similar issue?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 23-Oct-17 15:17:02

My girl has one on her back. The vet has no idea what it is. Fortunately she’s very cooperative though. Could you wrap him in a towel?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 23-Oct-17 15:17:56

Missed the bit where you said you’d tried a towel. Could you get an appointment with the vet nurse to hold him so you can have a proper look?

ShotsFired Mon 23-Oct-17 15:54:15

Unfortunately I am the only person she will let pick her up at home, and that is strictly on her terms, if she is in the mood and for as long as she wants (seconds rather than minutes). Then she goes full on angry starfish.

There is zero chance at the vet. I really am quite unsure now, and I have had several difficult cats in my life before now.

Allergictoironing Mon 23-Oct-17 18:52:57

I'd add Zylkene to the Feliway for additional stoned-ness, seemed to work reasonably well on mine & I was using a very low dose.

ShotsFired Mon 23-Oct-17 20:52:36

ooh good tip thanks @Allergictoironing.

I'll call the vet tomorrow and suggest my course of action (and reasoning), just to double check.

ShotsFired Wed 25-Oct-17 08:31:28

Vet concurred so Feliway and Zylkene on order now. The aim is to chill her out enough to stop her grooming. Initially vet suggested Bravecto but she's already on it - in fact was dosed up just a couple weeks ago.

She (cat, not vet!) also conveniently rolled right over for me yesterday so I got the quickest of looks at her undercarriage. It does all seem very smooth, didn't spot any obvious rash, reddening or irritation. Just sparsely furred!

Vet went on to say stage 2 would be to prescribe some specific anti- itch steroids, and stage 3 would be taking her in and possibly sedating her to get a proper look.

ShotsFired Fri 27-Oct-17 21:42:55

Things are looking up. 24hrs of Feliway and Zylkene and ShotsCat was letting me rub her tummy at some length; before letting me gently move her legs apart so we could inspect her nethers quite closely! grin

The good news is we couldn't see any sign of infection or irritation on her skin at all. Bad news is that it means it's either stress or boredom which are more nebulous to pin down and treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now