Talk

Advanced search

Cat allergy

(6 Posts)
Acrosstheuniverse123 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:05:31

i have had a new kitten for a week now and absolutely love her. The problem is my eldest son who visits a few times a year for short periods is highly allergic to cats. He developed an allergy to our last cat who died 5 years ago only when he went to Uni. I forgot about this and got another cat. He has come home and immediately developed a massive allergic reaction, swollen eyes, sneezing, the whole works. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to part with the kitten, but can't have situation where my son can't come home! The dander and allergens remain in the house even when the cat is not there.

Dexywexy Mon 23-Oct-17 19:28:57

I am allergic to my mum's dog and I used to be allergic to my cat. It is horrible suffering from allergies. I seem to have adjusted to my cat and I am no longer allergic just the occasion sneeze and itchy eye. Do you think it is possible your son's allergy may reduce in severity? I am not as bad with my mum's dog now.

Dexywexy Mon 23-Oct-17 19:31:17

It would be too sad to part with your kitten but I totally understand how your son feels. Hopefully someone on here can give you son advice

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 23-Oct-17 19:37:13

Is your son taking antihistamines? For me that would be the first thing to try.

Oops4 Mon 23-Oct-17 20:22:44

So you feed wet or dry? A few of my friends are very allergic but have found cats or dogs fed on wet food to be worse. The allergy can be to the saliva.

Acrosstheuniverse123 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:14:31

He only visits occasionally, but our last cat was fed on dry food all his life, but my son developed a massive allergy to him. It seemed to be okay this time if he washed his hands and didn't handle the cat, but as she grows and starts to shed I fear it may be much worse. Just sticking with it and hoping Xmas will not be a nightmare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now