Talk

Advanced search

Cat has wrecked my wallpaper

(8 Posts)
MillyMoo1113 Sun 22-Oct-17 10:07:02

I love my cats to bits, they're my babies.

But I had the lounge decorated in the summer and one wall has wallpaper on. And my beautiful white cat has completely wrecked it. Scratched right through so it's ripped and shows the pain underneath.

She never used the scratching post I had.

Any suggestions on how to stop it so that when I get it redone there isn't a repeat??

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:04:26

I don't think it can be stopped, it's too much fun.

It's bubble wrap for cats.

sillyswimmer Sun 22-Oct-17 11:08:47

My old cat did this to the wall paper in the hall. We used to spray her with a plant mister every time we saw her about to scratch. It didn't take long to train her to stop. We also repeating the spraying when we replaced the wallpaper to deter her.

We encouraged her to use a scratching post by rubbing catnip on it and gently holding her paws against it. It worked with her. The same technique also worked with my current rescue cat. My current cat also has multiple scratching posts around the house. If they're not there she'll scratch the furniture instead.

Tuvix Sun 22-Oct-17 11:10:47

This is the reason why my house has not been decorated in the 9 years since I moved in! I dont't think you can stop them. I have 2 cats and my house is a right mess. I am waiting until they die (they are 14 and 13) and then will get the whole house decorated, I wont be having any more pets after this.

Jeanvaljean27 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:13:56

Get rid of the cats, or accept that they're animals who like to use their claws and will occasionally practice on the sofas/wallpaper/chair upholstery/whatever.

It's the main reason why I vetoed my wife's suggestion to get a cat ourselves. That plus the fear I have of the cats practising using their claws on the baby...

MissConductUS Sun 22-Oct-17 11:14:02

Try providing more, different scratching surfaces. Ours love the corrugated cardboard ones. You can put catnip on them too. This one is a favorite:

inclined scratcher

The only other thing I can think of would be to cover the wallpaper with Plexiglas up to a height that covers the cat's reach. Or just have the wallpaper removed and paint the wall instead.

angelopal Sun 22-Oct-17 11:19:34

Our cat did that though was in the upstairs hallway. Never found a way to stop her. Just left it as it was until we stripped the wallpaper and painted.

IHeartDodo Sun 22-Oct-17 11:21:39

mine only stopped scratching the corner of the sofa when I covered it in clear packing tape.
It looked rubbish though! so didn't do it on the new sofa... which is of course ruined too now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now