Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Coughing cat

(7 Posts)
dementedma Sat 21-Oct-17 20:47:43

Cat wolfs his food and is prone to vomiting as a result. However today, the coughing/retching thing hasnt brought up any food. He is licking his lips a lot and then coughing, bringing his paws to his mouth and and has spat up a wee bit of foam. Cant see anything in his mouth and hes calm otherwise, no fever, but keeps smacking his lips and swallowing hard. Vet tomorrow or wait?

dementedpixie Sat 21-Oct-17 20:48:56

Is he long haired? Maybe hair ball?

dementedma Sat 21-Oct-17 20:54:19

Hes not long haired but has thick fur and is prone to furballs. He just can't seem to get up whatever is bothering him. Not drinking either. I dont know if he has something stuck in his throat. He occasionally rubs his paws over his mouth as if something is irritating him.

TroysMammy Sun 22-Oct-17 10:09:05

Vet. He could have ingested grass or something else which has become stuck.

Icequeen01 Sun 22-Oct-17 10:54:14

I also think it could be a blade of grass. I had a cat which had a piece of grass down her nasal passage and into her throat. She was retching and bringing up white foamy saliva. She had to be sedated to get it out. Two months later she did it again!

dementedma Sun 22-Oct-17 10:56:13

Thanks. He hasnt coughed this morning and eaten a few crunchies so will keep an eye on him. He was out all night so may have brought it up.

Regularsizedrudy Sun 22-Oct-17 10:58:10

My cat did this and it turned out she had asthma. Manageable with an inhaler. The vet will get to the bottom of it no problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now