Talk

Advanced search

PolterCat's arthritis update

(11 Posts)
Polter Fri 20-Oct-17 18:31:39

Previous thread here for background and some excellent advice for anyone else who needs it.

PolterCat has remained on Loxicom and the difference has been remarkable, he's been a complete pain in the arse TBH, running around and jumping on things like a cat half his age.

Saw the vet today for a check up and to talk through options and agreed that, although there's a possible risk to his kidneys, he's in good health (and has lost 250g as a result of all his running around), and quality of life and removal of pain is most important, so we'll keep him on Loxicom and consider blood tests at his next check up in 6 months.

I'm thinking that even if he did get kidney disease (which is a risk in older cats anyway I think?) we'd still need to medicate his pain and the Loxicom is so effective and easy for him that I would choose quality over quantity of life every time.

What I'm pondering is whether I should make any dietary changes to help support his kidneys. I know there are renal support foods, are they worth it? He currently has a mix of wet and dry but has always been a good drinker and still is.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:47:57

Excellent news, it must be lovely to see him running around like a kitten.

Polter Fri 20-Oct-17 20:07:37

Thanks Fluffy, he didn't come to us until he was nearly 9 so he's always been an 'older' cat for us, but we hadn't noticed him slowing down as it was so gradual.

Lanaorana2 Mon 23-Oct-17 23:03:05

Massive well done - Poltercat is a deeply superb person and it's a delight to hear he's perky. You must be well pleased with yourself.

Polter Tue 24-Oct-17 07:40:42

Lanaorana2 I can't work out whether you're being facetious but that's a very strange response.

This is the first time I've had a cat with arthritis and needing to make decisions about care like this and I'd hoped for some support and guidance, and perhaps reassurance, from other cat people.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 24-Oct-17 17:31:01

Lana's very genuine, she does mean you must be pleased sincerely, not sarcastically.

Polter Tue 24-Oct-17 18:01:05

Ok, thanks, the post does come across very strangely though.

Lanaorana2 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:17:42

O God sorry, I was being genuine! Illiterate maybe but sincere. I am having the same prob with Mr C so I thought you would be relieved. And Poltercat is brilliant, or at least I think so.

Polter Wed 25-Oct-17 08:14:39

Thanks Lana smile

CloudPerson Wed 25-Oct-17 08:23:49

So pleased to hear he's doing well.
Our vet tends to recommend renal support food (bought through them naturally!) for older cats. Our cats aren't that age yet so whilst the vet has made noises about them moving onto a different food when they're over ten, they're still a couple of years off.
I'm a little concerned about the cat half his age though, must be a shock to be jumped on!

Polter Wed 25-Oct-17 08:35:26

Thanks Cloud, thankfully he doesn't jump on people as he is a hefty bugger!

I'll try him on renal food I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now