Talk

Advanced search

What is the best cat litter?

(28 Posts)
Flowershower Fri 20-Oct-17 10:41:58

I could try them all I suppose, but that would take a while! Any recommendations for litter that absorbs wee and smells best? Poo is picked out daily, using Lidl stuff at the minute (coshida not the clay one) and it just stinks of wee after a day.

thecatneuterer Fri 20-Oct-17 11:02:32

The only stuff I will use is wood pellets. Pets at Home do a 30 litre bag for £5.50. And you only need to just cover the bottom of the tray as it expands. There is no smell at all with it. The only drawback is that it turns to sawdust when wet and does tend to track around the house a bit.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 20-Oct-17 12:12:16

Intersand classic. Scoop once daily and full change once a month. No smell. Two cats using same tray.

silentpool Fri 20-Oct-17 12:15:23

One of the wood based ones, for sure.

EachandEveryone Fri 20-Oct-17 15:45:13

I like Worlds best clumping. Ive tried many others and always go back to it.

Tinty Fri 20-Oct-17 15:47:33

A sainsburys one that costs about £4 per bag. It smells nice and seems to last a while and you don't get that wee smell from the tray (I use a covered tray, that also helps).

MinniesAndMickeysNeedCounting Fri 20-Oct-17 15:55:09

We use Cats Best Nature, it's wood based so it also tracks.

£25 for 30L but it lasts ages, it's a clumping one as I like to remove as they go, I've used quite a few clumping litters and this one clumps nicely and contains wee smells really well.

CruzRamirez Fri 20-Oct-17 15:57:26

I tried to switch to wood but they did a shit next to the tray in protest. I therefore use the £1.50 clay one from Tesco that they were brought up on.

fenneltea Fri 20-Oct-17 20:19:11

I converted to Professional Classic cat litter from zooplus a while ago, it beats wood pellets hands down and absorbs 400 times its own weight in water. You need a scoop with narrow slits because its so fine.
It isnt cheap initially (about £9 for a large bag), but works out economically as it lasts ages and the trays stay much, much cleaner. I can highly recommend it, and with six cats it gets well tested.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 20-Oct-17 20:30:28

How old is your cat?
My old mog doesn't like wood pellets any more (he used them perfectly happily when he was younger) as he doesn't like the feel of them on his arthritic feet.

Briette Fri 20-Oct-17 21:26:02

I like World's Best. Unfortunately, my cats do not, and I have to use the nasty clumping clay stuff or they refuse to use the tray sad

Vinorosso74 Fri 20-Oct-17 21:30:43

Cats Best Oko plus here. Any wood based seems better (unfragranced as not good for the cats). When I clean the CP cat pens out I find the fussy felines who prefer Catsan and clay litters tend to have smellier trays than those with the plain wood pellet litter.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 20-Oct-17 21:31:02

Harry likes Catsan. I can't use the clumping one as he tends to wee up the side of the tray and the bloody stuff gets welded to it!

thegoodnameshadgone Fri 20-Oct-17 21:34:08

I like the Costco one for £8 with lemon

Autumnchill Fri 20-Oct-17 21:36:40

Another vote for Worlds Best. Last about a month with 2 cats

caoraich Fri 20-Oct-17 21:39:42

One cat flatly refused to use the wood pellets so we use catsan non clumping - I find clumping gets stuck to the side of the tray. Poo picked out daily. 2 cats and 2 trays but they tend to use one most often and we change it just over once a week.

I tend to buy the catsan in pets at home in 20L bags when it's on a BOGOF.

DanHumphreyIsA Fri 20-Oct-17 21:40:30

Catsan clumping one has always worked for us (3 cats), covers the smell, generally easy to remove. It’s slightly cheaper in asda than pets at home.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Fri 20-Oct-17 21:41:25

Oko plus here as well. No nasty clay or dodgy things for puss to breathe in. It does track a little but I just keep a dustpan and brush next to the tray.

It's one of the more expensive ones to buy but when I compared how long it lasted to the cheap, horrid stuff that my brother buys for his cat it actually worked out cheaper.

BubblyCat Fri 20-Oct-17 21:42:28

Catsan non clumping is great, really absorbent and not smelly

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Fri 20-Oct-17 21:42:38

Surprised that so many people like catsan. I didn't think that it dealt with smell at all well.

booellesmum Fri 20-Oct-17 21:43:06

Worlds best

sluj Fri 20-Oct-17 21:49:38

World's best. Just flushes straight down the loo. Easy

TonicAndTonic Fri 20-Oct-17 21:54:28

I like World's Best. Unfortunately, my cats do not, and I have to use the nasty clumping clay stuff or they refuse to use the tray

I have a World's Best refuser too, though in my case it is Catsan that is the only thing the cat will use!

BubblyCat Fri 20-Oct-17 22:29:15

To be fair, we have catsan and a covered litter box, which I think accounts for the smell too, but I really rate it, our cat has terrible allergies and used to get god awful diarrhoea before we got her onto the right diet (think up the walls shock) The catsan absorbed it really well and was much less smelly than the wood stuff we had from the rspca when we first got her

chocolatespiders Fri 20-Oct-17 22:32:10

Used to use wood pellets then moved on to silica one. £2.00 from wilko or home bargains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now