Talk

Advanced search

Cat going back to old house

(7 Posts)
Meepmoop Thu 19-Oct-17 17:15:01

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice.

Our cat has decided that after 5 months in our new house he is going to start going back to where we were previously.

Before we moved here we stayed with my DH parents so it's their house he's going to, (5minutes drive away, not sure how long at cat speed)

Is there anything we can do to stop him. They call us as soon as he appears so we collect him, don't feed him/let him in.

The main worry is he has to cross a busy road to get there.

We have a 3month old son which may be a factor in him leaving.

Has anyone successfully managed to stop their cat doing this or should we ask his parents if they would like a cat. I would be heartbroken to let him stay there but it's better than crossing the main road.

We can't keep him as an indoor cat as he will not accept being shut in

Thank you

MsMims Thu 19-Oct-17 17:22:40

What about cat proofing your garden so he can get outside but not go wandering?

If you don’t want to do that, I’m afraid I’d ask if your in laws would have him. Otherwise it’s only a matter of time before he’s injured or killed on his mission to get there.

Meepmoop Thu 19-Oct-17 17:32:58

Thank you for your reply, how would you cat proof the garden at the moment we have a 6 foot fence all around it and he climbs up it

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 19-Oct-17 18:10:15

We’ve got netting on brackets to stop ours getting out. Have a look for Protect a Puss or Securacat for ideas.

MsMims Thu 19-Oct-17 20:28:11

A 6 foot fence is an excellent start. As Pink has said netting and brackets are the easiest way, you can either adapt materials yourself or order a kit from somewhere like protect a pet (highly recommend this company). There’s also a roller system available but it’s much more expensive. If you’re anywhere near the NEC the GCCF cat show will be on in November and there is always companies who sell cat proofing in attendance so you can see the products first hand.

By angling the brackets inwards the cats can’t escape even if they scramble to the top of the fence.

MsMims Thu 19-Oct-17 20:28:59

Sorry photos have affected post. First sentence should say ‘A 6 foot fence...’

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 19-Oct-17 20:45:24

This is ours. DH made the brackets himself and bought the netting from the garden centre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now