Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat flaps - microchip or collar activated? Do they work?

(36 Posts)
Glowerglass Wed 18-Oct-17 21:21:35

Just this really need to put a cat flap in, we live in quite a cat heavy area and i don't want next doors' pair making themselves at home, so want it to be our cat only.

Do they work? Are they easy to fit (will get a tradesperson in )

Thanks in advance.

SavoyCabbage Wed 18-Oct-17 21:25:10

They are easy to fit but ours doesn’t work. The chip needs to be in the right place on their bodies. Ours is too far away, nearer her back legs than the front.

Tronkmanton Wed 18-Oct-17 21:27:35

Yes they work. We went for a larger cat ‘door’ as the cat flap looked tiny. Easy to use and fit.

TizzyDongue Wed 18-Oct-17 21:29:07

Microchip one here. Works brilliantly.

Herschellmum Wed 18-Oct-17 21:30:39

Yes, ours works with the chip in their neck. Works perfectly, even can set it to allow one in and not the other, but let both in. It’s great.

MrsMooks Wed 18-Oct-17 21:31:02

I recently changed a normal flap to a micro chip one as the neighbours cat kept coming in, it definitely works. It was easy to replace new with old but I have mine in a full length window so had to originally get a glazier to fit it.

FruitBadger Wed 18-Oct-17 21:31:21

We have a microchip one (Sureflap), works really well.

NefretForth Wed 18-Oct-17 21:32:00

We had a microchip one but it didn't work for very long (though I suspect the cat's chip may have slipped slightly and not be in the right position any more - I keep meaning to ask the vet to check). We did all the things they advise like cleaning the sensor, but no joy. Fortunately the neighbouring cats don't seem inclined to try coming in!

Daisymeadows Wed 18-Oct-17 21:32:47

We have a magnet flap and it works well. No more local cats coming in and making themselves at home on our bed!

TheBitterBoy Wed 18-Oct-17 21:34:37

We got a microchip sureflap because my temperamental tortie was very upset by the neighbourhood cats popping in (cleaning up wee behind the telly is no fun!). It works brilliantly, no more unwelcome visitors and one chilled out kitty.

Iris65 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:36:25

Ours didn't work. The position of the chip in our Kitty meant that it wouldn't register.

AccrualIntentions Wed 18-Oct-17 21:36:45

Microchip one here, have had it for about 8 years and works really well. My dad fitted it in a UPVC door after watching a YouTube video so I don't think it was too difficult to fit. Just keep an eye on the battery light.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Wed 18-Oct-17 21:45:03

Yes. Have a sure flap which works with microchip. It's great.

somersetsinger Wed 18-Oct-17 22:00:37

Yes, we’ve got a microchip one, which was easy to fit and works well.

In the past, we had a magnetic cat flap but there were issues:
Little bits of metal got stuck to the magnet on the cat collar. It made the cats look like scrap metal merchants and I didn’t want the cats getting scratched by any sharp bits.
The little buggers are good at losing collars and the magnets aren’t cheap to replace.

Topnotes Wed 18-Oct-17 22:02:50

Microchip flap works very well for us and has kept the big bully neighbourhood bully cat out successfully- seen him trying to break in. Watch the battery life though.

WriteMeBiteMe Wed 18-Oct-17 22:09:18

Getting a microchip flap was the best thing we’ve ever done for our cat. She seems to be the only queen in a street of toms. They were coming into the house, spraying and scaring her. It stopped all that.
They still chase her through the garden and I’ve seen her dive through the flap and go skidding across the floor. At least she is safe inside.
Was easy to install as we replaced an old flap

Briette Wed 18-Oct-17 23:04:20

Ours works beautifully, perfect for my nervous cat-hating cats. For some reason even the stupider of my cats (I love him, but...) managed to work out the latching mechanism and learnt to wait for the click on his own. It took him months to figure out an ordinary cat flap so I had been worried!

MonaChopsis Thu 19-Oct-17 12:07:04

I got a tradie in as I needed to have it put in the wall. It was fine, and keeps both cats safe from a vicious local Tom. Have a microchip activated Sureflap, didn't work for one of my cats sôn I took her to the vets who found that her original microchip had disappeared somehow shock and put in a new one, for free. No issues since.

No regrets at all.

YorkshireFatRascal Thu 19-Oct-17 12:18:17

We have a Sureflap microchip cat flap and it has worked well for years. Of course Rascal cat prefers to miaow at back door as he is awkward/lazy/cheeky etc Ours is fitted in the double glazed glass panel next to the front door so had to be fitted by a professional, cost about £80. In the past we had a magnet operated flap but Rascal cat had a habit of losing his collar and the magnet seemed quite large/heavy.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 19-Oct-17 12:21:56

ours works except if we lock the cat flap half way so they can’t get out on vet days they hook it towards themselves and still escape.

PointeShoesAndTutus Thu 19-Oct-17 13:12:03

We have a Sureflap microchip flap - it's brilliant! Our temperamental diva has an admirer who tries to follow her in - she hates him. Without the microchip he'd be in, and she'd be climbing the walls!

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 19-Oct-17 13:19:31

We also have sureflap microchip one and it works brilliantly. Yes to checking the battery light and also to the poster above who's flap stopped working, our first one stopped working and then it would be fine with new batteries but only for a few days and batteries were drained. When I contacted the company they said they had had a bad batch of motherboards and they replaced the whole thing for free (i needed to give the serial number).

Otherwise no issues though it does make a click that the cat needs to get used to. For those with microchips in the wrong place, it would be worth getting another put in maybe?

We have a metal skinned door so bought the extra ring thing just in case it interfered with the operation of the flap.

Oldraver Thu 19-Oct-17 18:38:12

We are definitly looking at a timed micro-chip...though can't find any info on putting one is a steel door. Has anyone done this ? Advice for a metal lined Upvc is too cut the hole bigger (so no interference) but no advice for steel.

Think I may have to contact the manufacturer

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 19-Oct-17 19:10:28

we have metal coated wood and cut the larger round hole and have had no issues. Is your door solid steel? A garage door?

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 19-Oct-17 19:11:17

I have to say when I spoke to the sureflap people (it may have been email?) I remember them being very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now